Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Datum Axis at Intersection of Sheet Body and Datum Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim0914

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2015
US
Platform NX 10.0.3.5

I am trying to create a Datum Axis at the intersection of a cylindrical sheet body and the datum plane intersecting it. Logically in my mind I see this but when I try to select features it won't allow me to do this. I try to create it on 'Inferred' and I can either select the sheet body or the datum plane but not both. I try to create it on 'Intersection' but I cannot select the sheet body.

I have No Selection Filter and Entire Assembly for what I want to select. Both features are in the Displayed and Working Model. How do I do this?? I have attached a p[picture of the model and features in question.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dae8354f-3ab5-445b-9c00-a68ac9511a5a&file=DATUM_AXIS.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using the Two Points method and use the top & bottom edges of the cylinder. Define both the From & To points as Intersection Points, select the intersection of the Datum Plane and the upper/lower cylinder edges.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Thanks Tim. I couldn't get that to work either. When I picked the sheet body edge I could not pick the datum plane and vice versa. The thought here is it won't do it because the intersection occurs 2 places: top and bottom and NX doesn't know how to resolve it. I don't think that's true because it acted the same when I made a sheet body arc segment (<180 degrees) that only had one intersection.

I was able to get around this by ending the arc at the datum plane but this will cause more work in my part/assembly. Thanks for the help.

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company

What about using the intersection curve command to create a curve based on the datum plane / sheet body intersection. If the result is a line (datum plane will need to be parallel to the axis of the cylinder), you could create a datum axis on the line (or use the line itself as an axis).

If you create intersection points on the edges as suggested by Tim, make sure that you pick the datum plane as the first object. NX will not let you pick a datum as the secondary intersection object. Also, if you are working in an assembly and the datum plane and sheet are in different files, you may need to wave link something to get the command to work (this applies to my suggestion as well as Tim's).

www.nxjournaling.com

Yes, I was selecting the Datum Plane first when I tested the Two Point method....out of habit I typically select Datums first (probably due to running into similar issues previously).

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back