Create Instance with different materials without using TIE Constraint

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWicke

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2016
DE
Dear all,

I have two different volumes, an inclusion and a cylindrical volume, which consist of two different materials. The inclusion should be insert in the cylindrical volume, that means the two parts should act as a single volume upon loading to analyse the stress concentration.
My idea was to define different materials / section assignments in the part modul and then use merge with retained boundaries to create one instance, so I can mesh the two volumes as one without using tie constraints.

However, preparing a data check, I get lots of warnings concerning tie constraints although I didn't define any constraints (see attachment with warnings; the 8783 nodes in the first line are the nodes along the retained boundaries).
The results were plausibel, but does this mean that I have to define tie constraints?! If so, what's the best way to create tie constraints - use cut in the assembly modul to create a "hole" with the shape of the inclusion in the cylinder and then insert the inclusion per merge?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9d707d95-33c4-4c68-b225-a3f910818e70&file=Warnings.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abaqus automatically creates the constraints, but I don't know when and why.

In my opinion the problem is, that I define the section / section assignment of the cylindrical volume using "region". This means the faces of the inclusion are involved in the section assignment and then, defining also a section assignment for the inclusion, there is an overlap. Is this possible and how could I avoid the overlap?!

My CAE file is to big. However, I created a python script, which generates my model without the sections / section assignments. You just have to edit the path to the inclusion in line 49. Maybe this helps finding the mistake in my procedure.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cfe90e83-d655-4f86-b738-3d90bdb2b607&file=Modelling_Inclusion.zip
In the attachment my CAE file (created with ABQ 6.14-2) with the whole Model except from the sections / section assignments. The merged part is name "InclusionInCylVol".
I hope it works.

The IGS is an inclusion obtained by X-ray CT. For importing in Abaqus as a volume, the inclusion was reconstructed in a reverse-engineering process. That is the reason for the initial partitioning on the surface. However, using virtual topology, the "patches" on the surface are removed later.

Thanks!
Marcel

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ee27f789-9a4c-4d94-995d-fb2112beb680&file=Modelling_Inclusion.cae
I'm using Abaqus 2016 so I have uploaded the INP file instead. Here are the steps that I did.

1. Deleted merged solid and emptied the assembly.
2. Added both solids to the assembly.
3. Translated the inclusion 1 unit down.
4. Merged instances deleting the original and retaining the boundaries.
5. Tet meshed with default seeding.
6. Boundary condition 'FixBottom' only constrained in 1 direction changed to all 3

I hope this helps.
20160324111346-OPTIMAL-ROB_mb8nfe.png

Rob Stupplebeen
Rob's Engineering Blog
Rob's LinkedIn Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back