Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create STL files not the same in 4.0 as 3.0 Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agv

Mechanical
May 12, 2000
US
I want to create an STL file for rapid prototyping.

In the past with version 3.0 I simply exploded the model to be a 3D solid verfied by list command after copying the file , made sure the object was in full positive space: +X, +Y, and +Z and asked for an export to *.stl.

Now I get " cannot explode a Grounded base part use browser or amdelfeat."

Files created under 3.0 can be brought in MDT 4 and still be exploded. Only parts created in Ver 4 are unchangeable.

What am I missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have exported STL files out of MDT 4 several times. I have found that you can only export a single part at a time, clicking on an assembly will get you nowhere fast. I don't do assemblies, I design complex single parts for injection moulding, so for me it's not a problem. I generally use the STL output for rapid prototypes or MoldFlow analysis. The procedure is:-
type "amstlout" in the command line. You will be asked to set several parameters if you wish. Then click on the part you wish to export, the file name and where you want to save it. The above order may be wrong (recalling from memory!), but the process is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back