Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Created Tapered Threaded Holes/External Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiloebel

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2012
US
Is there any way to physically make a taper when creating a threaded hole? We currently use a UDF that creates a taper that we can then use a fit constraint on for threaded parts, but we would like to be able to do this with the threaded hole feature. If this is not possible, how is everyone else constraining to threaded holes?

Thanks for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you so set on using the 'Fit' constraint? At least in my opinion, creating non-standard geometry for the soul sake of making it easier to constrain something in an Assembly is very shortsighted. I think it's better to model what it is that you want to manufacture and then apply the appropriate constraints normally used when mating something to a hole.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I should have explained a little better. We use the taper for constraining on NPT threads ONLY. Since NPT threads are tapered, this actually gives us a good representation of what is actually being manufactured. The original intent of my question was to determine if the threads or threaded hole feature in NX can create a simplified tapered geometry for NPT threads (I have only managed to show it on a drawing), or if a UDF is the best way to go. It would be nice to use the automatic hole call out and thread representation on drawings that the threaded hole feature offers though. Also, I'm not set on the fit constraint and would be happy to hear about different ways of constraining NPT threads using the threaded hole feature if anyone knows of any. I've attached some pictures of what we currently do with UDF's:

qSG9NGJ.jpg

GUPGCf2.jpg

OK, that makes more sense. The NPT thread features are just symbolic and only provides a 'tapered' representation for detailed Drafting views. If you wish to have actual tapered male and female fittings you'll need to model them manually as there is no built-in function for that. If this is going to be something that you will be needing to do on a regular basis than perhaps either the use of a UDF (User Defined Feature) or something more automated using NX Open might be worth your time looking into.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back