Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a non-reflective surface using infinite elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfarr90

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2012
GB
Hi all.

I'm new to abaqus and struggling to acheive the model set-up I want. I'm creating a half-model of a ring, which I am then crushing. I want to eliminate the reflection of stress waves from the two boundaries where the symmetric axis is. Looking online and through the manual I realise that I need to use infinite elements on the two surfaces along the symmetric axis. However, I can't see in terms simple enough for me to follow how to achieve this with my application. The model is 2D.

Any help, particularly a step-by-step walkthrough, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your model is symmetric then loading is symmetric too. The reflection is the wave from the opposite side. Nothing for infinite elements

Yeah, I know that. It is more a case of curiousity to make sure the stress distruibution matches the places where the material hinges when there isn't a mess of stress waves distorting the view, and also make sure I know how to use infinite elements for future use.

Thanks

Not sure if the use of infinite elements is really appropriate for this loading condition, but they are elements of n-1 dimension for an n-dimensional analysis. Since you're running a 2d simulation, they would be 1-d line elements. Depending on what pre-processor you're using you can do something like 'edges', or 'convert feature to line' etc. Once you have the elements created, they will need a *SOLID SECTION, with whatever additional parameters are relevant. The documentation on this is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back