Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Visual Editor cartoon from the drafting program. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSM1487

Mechanical
May 12, 2011
US
I'm trying to create a cartoon for visual editor in the drafting application that has expressions associated with it. According to the NX documentation I need to set the environment variable UGII_DRAFT_EXPRESSIONS_OK=1. I did just that, but the VE is still not accessible in the drafting application. I ran help>NX Log File to make sure I made the change in the proper directory, and ugii_env.dat file. I'm using NX6.

Does anyone have suggestions, or a possible work around?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

I had no problem, using NX 6.0, creating a Sketch on the face of a Drawing, adding Dimensions and then using the Visual Editor tool, capturing an image of the Sketch and then adding the relevant Expressions to the Editor's list of active expressions.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I can create a sketch and grab the cartoon. However, I wanted use the drafting application, because I could have a both the top view and side view in the cartoon. Also my company doesn't really model off of sketches except to make a basic rectangle that we extrude up at a given height.

At some point I'd like to adapt the Visual Editor to create a template for a die-set, or something similar in nature.

Not sure what you're attempting to do here, but the Visual Editor can only access the Expressions which are associated with models and sketches contained within the CURRENT Work Part.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Yeah. I go to tools > Visual Editor, but Visual Editor is grayed out.

Originally I had the environment variable UGII_DRAFT_EXPRESSIONS_OK set to nothing. I then set the variable to 1 thinking that would fix it. I tried restarting NX, as well as my machine.

Did you check your syslog to see if this variable is actually being set or not? If you don't find it there (search on '_DRAFT_' as that's unique to that variable) then your system is getting it's settings from some other source than the 'ugii_env.dat' file.

BTW, when you set the UGII_DRAFT_EXPRESSIONS_OK variable in the ugii_env.dat file, make sure that you've also removed the '#' sign from in front of it as this the 'comment' symbol.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back