Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating cone flat pattern in sheet metal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clittle1111

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2014
Don't use sheet metal much.
Is it possible to create a rolled cone in solid edge ST6 and then use sheet metal to make a flat pattern?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it can be done in sheet metal, but not sync. In ordered mode use the "lofted flange" command. But before you do, it's best to create the two circular sketches on opposing planes first. BUT be sure to make the two sketches as 359.?? circular sketches using the exact same angle (not full circles). Then loft between the two. I have attached a sample.

I have also attached a picture showing how big you can go. I have made several very large cyclone systems with a single lofted flange and then in part mode, using divide part, sectioned the single large cone into manufacture-able sizes that will fit on our 5'-0" x 10'-0" laser table. The parts in different colors are all sized to fit our table as IPC parts driven from the larger master lofted flange PSM file.

HTH,
Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX8.5.1.3
TC8.3 in Testing
6 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro FX4800

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8b7d7f6b-7f0a-4293-9485-b32dfd3439f5&file=IMG_9147.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back