Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Drawing Borders, title block etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChurch77

Mechanical
Mar 10, 2010
US
I am curious how to go about creating a custom drawing border and title block. Should you create it in the drawing itself or as a sketch in view or in modeling? Im not sure where to start here. Just curious what the ideal way to do this would be. I do not want to "inherit" others drawing borders, I want to start fresh and clean. Thanks guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX? I'll presume that your in NX5 or above.

Define all your drafting defaults in the customer defaults so that the blank part you create is set the way you want. This can also be done once the file is created but it's easier to do it in the defaults. Also make sure that you set in the defaults to use the defaults from the defaults rather than from the template.

Then create a new part using the blank template (should be at the bottom). This new part will be the basis of the template. Then switch to modeling mode and draw your borders, annotations etc as you want them to be. There are ways of making your border a custom symbol or as a pattern but we'll keep it simple for now.

Then save that part into the UGII\templates folder (where NX is installed).

Then you will need to edit the drafting pax file to add your template to the the list that appears when you do file new.

It's more detailed than that but I'm not in front of NX. Post questions as they come and I'll answer them for you.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.1.5

I have done this before, updating the pax file (open as NOTEPAD, then add a line, etc). Im using NX 6 by the way. I actually was just curious if the borders are created in modeling or in drafting. Sounds like just building a border in modeling is the way to go?

JChurch77,

All my title blocks, Manufacturing borders, etc. are lines, curves and text created in modelling.
For my application, it works fine.

To add a title block to a drawing I use "file > import > part"

Seems to work great.

J

NX 6.0.5.3

I would think borders would be created in Drafting rather than Modeling since you'd need to create a view to see the curves that are Model Dependent when you're in Drafting mode with the Drawing visible. This would be different from doing a File -> Import -> Part.

If I recall correctly, if your border resides in Modeling and you place the lower left corner of the border at ABS 0,0,0 then via File -> Import -> Part you can get the border into Drafting IF you're in the Drafting mode when you perform the import. I believe the opposite holds true if you create your curves in Drafting and import into Modeling. The important thing to remember is that in Drafting, 0,0,0 is at the lower left corner of the drawing sheet boundary.

Incidentally, I used to place the lower left corner at 0.1, 0.1, 0 so the plotter wouldn't cut off the left-most and bottom-most lines and make them look thinner than the other 2 boundaries.

You can also create drawing templates and just drag & drop part files into the drawings. It's supposed to automate the process quite a bit, but not sure how well it works or how much fix-up is needed when dropping a significantly different part onto the template. That might be worth checking out as well.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

i jsut read my post and realised I made a mistake. Draw the border in drafting mode.
As Tim suggested, the best way is make template parts and use them for your File -> New and Insert -> Sheet. Avoids all the mucking about with File -> Import -> Part.

Plus you can have views already on the drawing rather than having to manually add them.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.1.5

Hmm...lol, Ive never heard of this template part and drag and drop procedure! This is how I currently make a drawing: I make a 3D model, I open up drafting environment, I right click on the drawing border and choose D size for example. Then I import a part file containing our drawings borders that look as though they were created in model mode somewhere, possibly cadkey and then imported into a UG file as a IGES file. Now, what Id like to do is recreate a new drawing border with just a new look and I have some ideas. I want to use my "Seed Part" as the "template" is this ok or do I have to go to file new and choose drawing template. Sorry you all have just confused me a bit :). Also lets say I do create it within drafting, it calls it a sketch as I use lines, is this ok? If someone could attach a MOVIE from within UG that would be awesome just something short. Thanks guys!

I have made some videos for you. I will upload from home.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

video showing a really basic border

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

video showing an edit of the existing pax file to add the template file

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

final video showing how the new template works

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

Great help.
But there is a new problem for me: I can’t make the drawing to be updateable when changing the source part. Sometimes it could be fine, sometimes couldn’t. Is there some solution ?
I have tried an another method how to work with template – to use my own sheet when toggle from modeling to drafting (by modification of “ugs_sheet_templates.pax” file). However a problem have occurred – my new opened sheet have seemed OK, but haven’t transfered most of its preferences (Annotation preferences, Section line preferences,…). I have had to change it every time. Advantage: The model and drawing make up a whole (one file), drawing is updateable when changing model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back