Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating heat source to see the heat transfer and convection of heatsinks. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisc92

Electrical
Aug 5, 2015
AU
Hey guys,

I am currently a student learning to use ANSYS, but i was wondering is it possible to create a heat source (heater). I know you can create heat sinks as i have read about it but i haven't seen any tutorials on creating a heat source to see the heat transfer and convection between a heatsink.

My task is to design different types of heatsinks and see the interaction in between TWO heat sources.

I am using ANSYS (16.1) workbench. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes, it is possible, heat source can be defined as either Heat Flow (W), Heat Flux (W/m²) or Internal heat generation (W/m³). If you know the heat produced due to current flow (W=I²R), you can divide this value with the volume of the heater (m³) and give the value as Internal heat generation in your heater.

Cheers,
Ram

Thanks lamboram, do you know where i can find some tutorials on thermal analysis? What you mentioned on internal heat generation should be covered in those tutorials right?

cheers

actually sorry Ram I could find stuff on FLUENT but not much on workbench. What specifically should i be searching to find an example on creating a heat transfer simulation between a heat source and an object?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back