Status
Not open for further replies.

willwoll100

Automotive
Mar 4, 2004
GB
Ok this is what I've got access to;

CATIA V5 R12.

Now what I need to do is change the multi point scan into surfaces, the file is currently in IGES format and I've imported it into CATIA but I really haven't got a clue as to how I go about changing the points into a surface. I've got around 750 points in total. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated, also if you need any more information then please ask.

Will

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Will.
May i ask what was scanned? 750 points seem awful small for a laser scanned point cloud. If i were to scann a 1-2-3 block for instance, i would have approx 150,000 points. Your points need to go into a software that can build a polygon mesh, then to surface. I use geomagic studio for my business. Rhino could also do it, although i havent used rhino to do that. Or if the points are "Ordered Data" as if they were scanned in a grid pattern, you could draw the boundries of the surface patches through the points and then surface the patch using a loft UV surface patch function on your cad system.

If your point cloud looks like a big mess, then it was scanned with a scanner like i have, and would need a software that could handle it.

I hope this helped.

Perry
perry@inscan.net

You can definetely create high accuracy surfeaces with catia, but you need to use the quick surface recognition, workbench, the freestyle workbench and the Digitized shape editor workbench. With those workbenches, you can crate meshes, optimize them, generate sections from scans or meshes, and then create surfaces, using boundaries and the meshes.

The Freestyle workbench has a tool called fit to geometry in which you can fit a surface to a mesh.

In the quick surface reconstruction you have a tool called surfaces network in which you can generate the surfaces as you do with tebis, generate splines or lines on the scan, and then generate surfaces between those curves wih the mesh as support.

Hi Reversedog:
Can you tell me which software is best,surface or imageware,to deal with point clouds,especially so many points.
Thank you!

Hi yh1234,

Im not sure what your asking.
Are you asking which is better, a surfacing software that builds from point cloud data vs. Photogrammetry using a camera such as the manolta (sp?).

I had a demo on the photogrammetry. Cool concept, can collect data on large objects. It lacks accuracy and it took forever to get the data back. I had them reverse a front bumper mold cavity. It couldent hold the accuracy i needed and the fellah that did it gave me back the completed data 1 1/2 weeks later and i couldent use it.
Thats why i went with the Faro and Geomagic software.

As an example, im in my office now scanning a stamped sheet metal part and i have 2,880,000 points. Geomagic handles it well.

I guess it all depends on your application. My customer is building a check fixture using the surface data im making. I need to be pretty accurate.

Hi Reversedog:
Sorry,maybe you do not understand me. My meaning is which software , Surface and Imageware ,is better to deal with point cloud .we get so many points by scanning,so we must deal with them by using a software,for example,to cancel some bad points ,to make a line from points ,and to get a surface from lines,and so on.
I am an engineer from China ,i like car ,i like designing car with CATIA.I hope everyone can help me .Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back