Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crimped Plate Critical Buckling Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

engpes

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2010
US
I am designing a crimped plate bulkhead (1/4" thk) to go on an ABS classed vessel. Is there a general reference / guidline for determining the critical buckling stress for a compressive load applied to the wall (see attached sketch)?

I believe Bureau Veritas has some guidelines for determining the critical buckling (in terms of stress) of crimped plate, but I cannot seem to locate it.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't provide a great deal of dimensional information on your sketch, but I cannot see this being a special structure, i.e. I would calculate the radius of gyration, consider the L/r and design it as a column of that slenderness. There could be a problem if the length between folds is very large, but it doesn't appear to be from your sketch.

BA

Regular steel codes would cover the geometry adequately. I would assume ship-building use would put it under some other code, though.

The geometry is similar to sheet piling and to fluted-pedestal water towers.

a lazy way these days would be to run a static FEA and look for the eigenvalue ...

is this plate going to resist only in-plane loads ? only axial ??

If you can get your hands on Alcan - Strength of Aluminum (1983), there are equations for corrugated plate, for stability both in compression and in shear.

tg

anyone ? a google search gets you oh so close (a hit in open library is just a page holder). and Alcan only gives a phone number to contact them ... geez

The design of corrugated or crimped plate bulkheads is covered in the following publication which is available for download on the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) website:

ABS GUIDE FOR BUCKLING AND ULTIMATE STRENGTH ASSESSMENT FOR OFFSHORE STRUCTURES, Section 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back