Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Critical Buckling Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubseaEng10

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2010
GB
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to calculate the critical buckling force for a buried subsea pipeline for a given imperfection?

Just to be clear, I don't mean the effective axial force that is generated in the pipeline because of the Temp,Pressure. I mean the minimum force which causes to buckle a buried pipeline. (upheaval buckling). So it is independent to Temp./Press.

As far as I know it depends on the uplift soil resistance, download coefficient and wave length coefficient and I know all the equations!...but don't know how to find the critical buckling force for a given imperfection.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DNV-RP-F110 - GLOBAL BUCKLING OF SUBMARINE PIPELINES is a good place to start to explain how it all works.

If, as you say, you have all the equations then I'm guessing you have the already looked at Hobbs R. E. (1984): “In-Service buckling of Heated Pipelines”, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering,vol. 110, pp 175-189 as this will give you the basis of your critical buckling force for a certain prop-type...if not, a very old scanned copy is attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0f867db3-a89c-428c-b5ea-b92bfa57b199&file=uhb-Hobbs-in_service_buc.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back