Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CS SSAW ASTM A53 Gr.B SCH STD SERVICE PIPES DAMAGE REPAIRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREERAAM

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2015
IN
We are having some CS ASTM A53 Gr.B SCHSTD SSAW service pipes with dents on the body of the pipes happened during the fall of stacks and also a few pipes having out-of roundness towards the ends. Please advise me the standard and accepted practices for the repair of dents as well as the out-of roundness of the pipes with respect to the standards?Is it allowed to carry out repairs for the same? if yes, as per which standard?

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Dream,Dream,Dream Dream transforms in to thoughts.And thoughts result in action

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the pipe diameter? If this is small diameter service water piping it may be easier to replace deformed pipes because repair would probably involve welding and/or mechanical straightening. If you decide to go the evaluation route you would need to ensure no cracks from dents and consider the effects of flow disturbance on the ID surface from large dents.

Third, you could look at API 579 FFS for dented areas for application.

The pipe sizes are above 1000mm till 1400mm.It would be great if you could provide me a copy of the API 579 FFS standard if available for the reference.
Could you please clarify me on the ovality of the same size of pipes too?
We almost have a variation of 30mm-40mm between the maximum OD and minimum OD of the pipe. How to rectify the same?
Appreciate your valuable response.

Thank you.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Dream,Dream,Dream Dream transforms in to thoughts.And thoughts result in action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back