Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CSWP - Are you Certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uGlay

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2006
If so, how long have you been using SW and when did you get certified in relation to your learning curve of the program.

How much time and $ did it take for you to be CSWP. Do you feel like it was worth the time and effort?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I couldnt tell you, im not CSWP. But i have a pretty good job in a large and well known company. I wouldnt mind making more money of course. who wouldnt right?

No change in job status. Took the CSWP exam for free during the (still going till July) online offer last October. Been using SW since 98, off and on during school until 2001 where I have been using it day in and out till now. Based on the test, I believe I would have been capable of passing it within a year of working with SolidWorks full time. Assuming you work in an environment where in-context design is occuring (I did).

I too am curious to hear others inputs regarding the value of the test in this regard.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

BTW,
Worth time and effort... Yes, it really wasn't any effort, just 2+ hours to take the exam. It was free for me, but I would pay $100 to take it. It is a feather in the cap and demonstrates a certain level of competence is using the software. Prior to becoming certified, I was only able to tell prospective employers that I was good. Now I can at least wave a piece of paper in their face.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

I started out with a CSWP back in 2001. I had been using SW since its release in 95-96. Now I support it and have gotten my CSWST and working towards my PDM certification. Who knows what the future holds for me, but I know this CSWP got me through a few doors when I started out. Now my reputation is high and hopefully it stays like this for a little longer.

I think the CSWP helped me out when I was just starting into this software and pretty much this field. I have just graduated college about year prior to SW's release.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I got certified in '05, about 7 years after I started using SWx. The test, as I recall, was pretty pricey then, maybe ~$400. I waited that long because I couldn't justify spending the money. When I went to a new company, they paid for it. Being certified has definitely helped my career.
Also, when I took it, you did it in a classroom at your VAR and it was 6-8 hours.

You youngsters have it easy these days. Did I mention I had to walk uphill, both ways, through the snow to get to the exam? [smile]

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I have been using SolidWorks since 98, but just recently became certified when they started with the free offer. But as Shaggy said, it's easier to show a potential employer the credentials, than to just talk about them.

CSWP
SolidWorks 2007 SP5.0/2008 SP0.0
2xDual-Core AMD OPTERON 280 / 8GB Ram
Quadro FX3450
3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

I started with SW 97 and used it exclusively up until 2004-2005, I switched jobs and now work only with Pro-E. In my observations the CSWP is more valuable in competitive job markets.

Last year I took advantage of the free offer from SW and took the CSWA which I passed. I then reviewed for a few weeks and took the CSWP, which I failed.

Can I do everything required in the CSWP? Definitely. Can I review the material, evaluate the requirements and implement the most effective design scheme within the 180 minute test, No.

This does not mean I know less than those that have passed. All it means is that I take more time to develop my approach. Working with the software is only part of the equation. Design experience outweighs software proficiency more ofthen than not.

Having said that, I do plan on re-taking the CSWP at some point. As Shaggy said "it's another feather in the cap"

Eholmes

JMirisola - Try that without BOOTS like I had too!

eholmes - I agree with you. For me the test was all about speed modeling. Something that is less of a requirement than designing.

---SolidWorks 2008 SP3.0---

I've been certified for a while. I think that the cert seems to mean more to people that aren't too familiar with the software. Luckily this includes most potential employers. It does signify a certain amount of proficiency, or at least it means that you were proficient when you took the test, or maybe you are good at taking tests, or maybe you just got lucky...come to think of it, I don't know what it means...

Would you beat someone else out of a job just because you're a CSWP? Who knows, but it couldn't hurt.

Dan

Passed the old 8-hr proctored CSWP exam at SWW '07 after using SolidWorks part time since r2001. I think it was $150 at SWW. It counted as points in our salary system.

My Opinion of the Online Test - If you knew only what was asked of you on the test then you really don't know much about SW. SW refer to the test as "CORE" but in reality it just scratches the surface. I do agree it has value. Great for you if you're are CSWP.

---SolidWorks 2008 SP3.0---

I recently passed the CSWA test without much difficulty (other than the worrying about taking the test itself.)

Also, I just got a promotion with a new job title (unfortunately not related to the test). Now I will probably need new business cards & I was wondering out of those who have passed the tests & gotten cool .jpg's saying how cool we really are...does anyone actually put their certification on their business cards, & if so where?

eholmes and BARM--same thing happened to me. I didn't finish the weightier questions and thus missed the passing points mark. Although every question I answered I got 100% on. Just from that I know I could pass the CSWP at a VAR with no issues. The new online tests only say "yes I know the software well enough to burn through a quick concept phase". But I see SWX angle at offering these tests to a wider audience getting their name out there. Too bad it comes at the expense of the 'old guard' that had to toil uphill, both ways, with no boots, AND wolves chasing them down to steal their lunch on the way to the VAR CSWP test.

Tony Murschel, CSWA
Dual Xeon 5160 10GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
SWX 2008 SP3.0 x64

I have been using SW for 6yrs now. I took the old 8hr CSWP this past September right before they switched to the on-line format. That test at our VAR was $300.00. After taking the old test and seeing the new format, I strongly believe the old format was more thorough in testing your knowledge.

I took the exam to make myself more marketable. My opinion is that these exams help employers gage the knowledge of current or prospective employees, and somewhat aid jobseekers in establishing their knowledge of the software.

As for myself, it certainly does help having passed this exam come review time..

I took the test last week. Without even thinking I started the test without review and not even knowing what to expect. Needless to say I failed. But next time I will be better prepared for it and I will pass it. I have been working with SW for 2 years and should have passed but I tried to hurry cause of the time limit. I was told by the hire ups that they would give me a raise and they would reimburse me the testing cost if I brought them a CSWP for me. So whether or not they are going to pay for it I would have still taken it until I passed just so to back me up in the future.

"But if it is from GOD, you will not be able to stop these men; you will find yourselves fighting against GOD.
Acts 5:39

A lot of good posts here talking about the CSWP/CSWA programs.

I've been using SWx since 97 ... and even used it to design my home addition. It's a fantastic software ...

After hearing about the previous versions of the "test" I was too chicken to take it (even though I was told by VAR's and others that I'd easily pass). My other reason for not taking it was that it probably wouldn't have meant a thing to the companies I had worked for.

Why did I do it now ... for one thing it was for FREE (everybody loves free stuff). And I wanted to prove to myself that I was as good as I thought (and was told).

Compared to the "old" test, I consider this version to be more like a Jr. CSWP ...

But it has been mentioned before, "A feather in your cap is better than no feather at all."

As far as a salary increase because I'm a CSWP now ... that's a funny one.

Brian Mazejka, CSWP
Documentation Control Manager
Microline Pentax, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back