Current Engineering Salaries 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Electrical
Oct 17, 2005
CA
Hi to all,

I am curious for those that are liscensed engineers, what is the salary like?

Is it true, skilled tradesmen earn more than an engineer?

If so, that is strange considering an engineer would more then likely be the project leader with skilled trades people reporting to them.

All comments are much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DonMcC, thanks a million for your post. I often have debated whether to pursue a skilled trade or an engineering degree.

I feel the work of an engineer would be more interesting but other factors, like the ones you mention always has kept me inclined to stay away from engineering.

I currently work for a manufacturing company and have been attending school while i work.

I really don't wish to spend the rest of my working days on the production line so I thought of doing something to better my career chances.

Engineering was something I choose as my company supports it. However, I will graduate when I am 34 years old and feel this could be an issue.

What is your take on it Don, I mean in your post you mentioned age discrimination.

Thanks to all for their responses

I graduated at 39, took 18 months to find a job (affected everyone, not just me, an industry downturn in 1994), and have not regreted it once. I've over doubled my original salary, have a PE, working on my MS (company paid, ;-) ) and have yet to experience the "age factor" even though I've changed jobs 4 times in 11 years.

I don't think age is as relevant as experience and I'll bet you have gobs.

I would only choose to live and work in a big city like toronto. I worked few years in small towns and regardless of money IT IS NOT WORTH IT.......

Plenty of reasons why not:
have to relocate again when the job finishes
no options to seek another job so pay value diminishes
limited options for services, shopping cultural stimulus, poor education for kids
high cost of travel in and out
limited professional development

I hated after the first 6 months, and nver again....

The migrants have a good reason to stay in Toronto...They are not stupid......

Southbeach--

Don't let the age at graduation bother you a bit. When you graduate, you'll have a degree AND some experience in the real world. A good employer will recognize that as a plus. In my opinion, you will be a better engineer because of it, as opposed to young graduate engineers who have no field experience at all.

old field guy

opsops: sure- there are plenty of opportunities and benefits to living in Toronto as you've mentioned. The problem is, over eight thousand new migrant engineers land there yearly. If you choose to go there, don't cry if you don't find an engineering job and end up driving a taxi. Then again, perhaps that's a benefit to add to your list- lots of people needing taxi drivers!

no worries mate, I have no plans to go or work in Canada. I traveled extensively with my work and h've seen all almost first hand.

No thank you

I am happy with what I do and where I do it. I made myself privileged to choose what I do, for whom and whom I am hiring.

Cheers

opsops: glad to hear you're happy where you are. Keep hiring whatever engineers you find who can do the job for you to your satisfaction, and I'll do the same. And I'll keep warning people to open their eyes and look at the real situation before they choose to immigrate here to Canada to work as engineers. By doing so I hope to avert some suffering on their part which might result from mis-information or false hope. If they choose to come, they're welcome- the country offers an opportunity, rather than certainty.

While earning my B.S.M.E I worked for a well known American co. that had a strong leveraged union. Any negative stereotypes you've heard about unions would be validated by this company's employees. Yes that's a blanket generalization,there were exceptions ~1%! At first I thought it was the best job, $25/hr, paid morning,lunch, and afternoon breaks, the whole 9 yards. Just for feeding a machine all day. Well that got boring, miserable and depressing, at least for me awefully quick. I spent most of my time looking at the clock wondering when I could go home. So to iterate what was mentioned in earlier posts, after graduation I didn't care that I could make the same amount of money at a union shop than I could as a green engineer. Because at the end of the day you cant put a price on the feeling of accomplishment, and learning new things daily. Although I must admit I still do often look at the bottom,right corner of the screen to check the time, but that's cause I'm trying not to let the day pass me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back