Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curve Representation of Certain Solids in Drawing View

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolugu

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2011
US
I am in the process of completing a drawing in NX4 of an assembly that in comprised of several components. I would like to show the corresponding interfaces (adjacent components which I am not responsible for) as curve representations so as not to have to include these models in the product structure. I have the adjacent models currently in the assembly, all views are completed...all looks good, just would like to "replace" the solids with curve representations and delete the components from the assembly, retaining the curves. If anyone has a suggestion on how to accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated,
thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the Drawing and for each view which you would like to include curves from one of these 'reference' components follow the following workflow:

Select the view boundary and press MB3 and select the 'Expand Member View' option. Once the view has been expanded, go to...

Insert -> Curves from Bodies -> Extract...

...and from the list of curve extraction options, the most useful will probably be the 'Edge Curves' and 'Silhouette Curves' options. Now just select the curves from the 'reference' Components which you wish to keep. Once finshed, reselect the view boundary, press MB3 and toggled OFF the 'Expand Member View' option.

Now repeat this workflow for all all of the Drawing views where there are 'reference' Components which you wish to extract some curves from.

Once you've processed all of the views, you can now safely remove the 'reference' Components from your Assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

Thank you for your help, I did not mention that I would like to replace the solids with curves for the components that I am NOT responsible for and keep the models of the components I am responsible for...will this method work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back