Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom cavity insertion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanled

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2003
Ive created a custom cavity for a Hydraulic cartridge valve. How do I convert it and what to ? to enable me to drag and drop it into new models to save me having to redraw it every time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do with this. However, it seems you're wanting to save the void itself.

To do this, knit together the surfaces of the cavity you want to retain into a single surface body. You can then save that body as its own part and import it into other parts for use. You can use the Cut With Surface feature to create the cavity in other parts using your imported surface body. (I believe you can also save your cavity surface as a library feature if you like.)

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

alanled,

Using cntrl key select the features in the tree that create your cavity. Then click on file "save as". Pick a name and place for it, then pick library feature as the file type. You will then be able to drag and drop it as a library feature. I like to create a seperate part, create the cavity in that and then save both that file as a master and the library feature.

mncad

alanled,

Have you looked in to the new Smart Components that 2006 offers? If you model a part as beeing the other part cavity you can use it. Just drag'n'drop and select the components that will be affected by the "cavity" part. Try it.

Daniel

I am not sure how to do this, I have never done it before what Theophilus and mnCAD are suggesting. I have a part with some features that I want to save separately for the purpose of making a cavity in other parts. I haven't created the cavity yet. I tried selecting the features in part file and clicked save as, then selected Library feature as the file type but it gives me an error: "Multiple bodies not supported in this feature".

Any sugestions?

Thanks

mkmech,

The library feature option will work if you create the cavity first. You can't have multi bodies. Once you create the library feature try inserting to see if it comes in the way you want. The first few I did it took me a while to get all the dimensions referenced to what I wanted.

mncad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back