Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Drawing Border Updating with Sheet Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyTomlin

Automotive
Apr 15, 2011
CA
I've had a search but can't find a solution to this so far.

I'm trying to make a single drawing border template which will automatically update with sheet size. Previously, we have had a different template for A3, A2, A1 & A0 sizes. However, occasionally we will need to add further views to a drawing which requires an increase in sheet size but this results in having to redetail the entire part.

What I would like is a way to anchor certain parts of my drawing border to the bottom-right, top-right & top-left of the sheet so that they would move when the sheet size is increased. Is there any way of doing this without having completely seperate borders hidden on other levels inside the same template file?

Many Thanks,

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Andy,

Instead of using 1 template dwg part and pulling in the 3D math data, which is what I think you are doing, we use "pattern"'s for our dwg borders. We also use a separate file, we call "template" file that just contains the text notes to modify and also the revision borders that need to be added with each dwg change.

If your dwg size needs to change, then you retrieve a new pattern and delete the old one. You will then change your dwg size for the new pattern.

Benefits of using pattern: The pattern is only 1 entity. It updates automatically when the pattern file is updated.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Current version: NX 5.0.4.1

Allen,

I added our old templates to the sheet pax file so that we could do everything in NX's standard menus. Our templates consist of a pattern file imported into a part so that visibe borders and selectable text are imported together.

We could currently delete the selectable text and replace the pattern with another one, but it feels a little clunky. As the main aim of this task is streamlining procedures, I was hoping to keep everything inside NX and therefore doing-away with having to remember template file locations on our network drive.

However, if this is the only way, then I guess I will have to compromise!

WARNING: Patterns are considered to be all but obsolete and while there are no current plans to remove them, they are not going to be enhanced nor updated in any way.

That being said, for our next version of NX we are including an actual set of routines which will help you create all of the necessary artwork and information necessary as well as including significant automation for things like titleblock information and so on. There's even a 'wizard'-like tool which will then turn your drawing border into an actual 'Drawing Template', even to the point of creating and updating the XML files which the system uses when a Drawing is created.

Now this will NOT provide the ability to create a sort of 'parametric' drawing border which can be changed from one size to another, but it help you get to where you have consistent family of files which could be used when manually swapping out the artwork from one drawing to another after something like resizing the drawing. Perhaps in the future we will be adding some additional 'automation' to address issues such as this.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back