Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom drawing title blocks 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar7

Automotive
Jul 20, 2007
NZ
I have a range of standard commpany title blocks as symbols in I-deas or as AutoCAD Blocks I would like to use in NX5 Drafting

I'm sure there is any easy way to do this, but an not sure where to start, can anyone help ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have created the patterns and created the drawing templates.
I have also gone in and modified the ugii_env.dat file for the location of the patterns.

I can create a stand alone drawing from this drawing template but the title block doesn't show up.

Any idea why the pattern doesn't show up in the template?

Paragon Medical

tsjaikdus,
This may not be what you are trying to accomplish, but as has been mentioned in this thread before, use a pattern within a drawing seed file. Place all of your auto text in the seed file, not the pattern, and it should all update accordingly.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

ewh, I don't know what a seed file is. I can create a standard drafting, add text and a pattern. That file I can use, but it is not a template because I need to make a copie if I need an other one. And the copy is not associative as far as the text is concerned (pattern is, but text is not).

A drawing seed file is a protected file which contains the format pattern and auto text.
You open the drawing seed, rename it and bring in your components using assemblies.
Again, this is not the only solution, just one that has worked well so far.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

ok, but if you change the font or whatever in your protected sheet, the change is not reflected into the drawings you've already made (because they're copies).

True, but is that really important? How often do you intend to change fonts? What negative effect would result by not changing fonts?
The idea (as I understand it) is that once you have the drawing standard format that you need, you will seldom have to change it. If you do change it, it would not affect previously released drawings.
When drawings were done by hand, formats were pre-printed, and any changes generally didn't take effect until the supply had run out and new paper was being ordered. Drawings were not revised to change something like text font.

For completeness, I add here the comment that John has posted on this page
"Part Attributes get transferred automatically to the Assembly Component as Object Attributes and you can create notes linked to either Part or Object Attributes using the 'Reference' option in the Annotation Editor." [John R. Baker, P.E.]

So, in drafting:

Annotation Editor > Annotation Editor > Relationships > Part Attribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back