Custom Feature Parameters Template [Drafting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeatberkshire

Industrial
Sep 6, 2011
US
Hi All,

I work at an aerospace manufacturing facility using NX6. We specialize in hydraulic distribution manifolds for a variety of applications. Many of our parts include industry standard ports and hole types. We have grip files set up and use custom software to guide the modeling of these features along with the associated tooling. However, when drafting the models this information is input manually. Naturally, this is not an ideal solution. It takes significantly longer to draft and leaves room for user error. Incorrect dimensions can be added and it requires the user to confirm in modeling that the correct dimensions are actually there.

I'm trying to address this issue and was looking for suggestions from the community here. We use Feature Parameters to pull dimensions for drilled, tapped, and bolt holes so I first looked there for a solution. Unfortunately, the amount of information you can pull is rather limited. I'm now looking into creating custom templates for Feature Parameters. My first question would be, do any of you have experience in creating these templates and does that seem like the right avenue to initially pursue? Ultimately, I'd like to be able to pull the chamfer diameter, reamed diameter, and drilled diameter of a feature along with the included depths of each in just a few clicks. I know this must be possible, just trying to figure the simplest and most effective way to collect data from the model.

Please let me know if anything is unclear in my explanation. Look forward to your responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can actually pull more information that you may think from the model. I will assume that you are using "master modeling"
under Analysis > measure distance, asoociative (expand "associative measure and checking"), toggle "on"
Whatever gets measured will be stored as an expression and you extract that into whatever text that you want, and if the model changes it will change also.
Not only can a measured distance be stored as an expression (like in a hole depth) but an edge can be selected and its properties can be stored.
Maybe browse in the "analysis" pull-down to see what options that you have.

Thanks for the response Jerry. I am familiar with associative measurements and had considered them at first. By putting together a series of expressions into a single note, with the proper preformated text, it would achieve something close to what I'm looking for. This would take a bit longer than something like the Feature Parameters tool but would be associative and less prone to user error.

It also addresses crucial issue. I'm trying to develop this for two reasons. First for the drafting of fixtures and second for the drafting of actual parts. In the case of fixtures, Feature Parameters pretty much does it because we are primarily dealing with standard hardware features. Changing some of the symbols to text for the sake of tool maker habits and adjusting the order pretty mcuh does it. The challenge is doing this features that are not made using the hole tool. Feature Parameters wont do anything for us there. Associative measurements are an interesting option, but do fall a bit short. A new question, is their a way to create a kind of 'ghost' tag for a feature that could then be called out in drafting? For example, I model a MIL spec port using a simple revolve feature. I then call up a custom script that contains the specifications for a group of ports, find the one I just modeled, and associate it with this feature I just created. I then go to drafting, setup up my sheet, go to the proper view and somehow select that 'ghost' tag. Then the text stored in the custom script is displayed and a leader line associates it with a model edge in the draft. Possible?

Also, is it not possible to add dimensions into a Feature Parameters template? Just modify existing. I want to pull up drill hole diameter and drill hole depth on a threaded hole all in one callout instead of two separate ones [one thread features and one hole features].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back