Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Wine Cellar Project 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBVino

Computer
Aug 14, 2001
US
I am building a custom cellar. I have looked at many stock refrig systems and am not pleased with the performance specs and the lack of data logging via pc network, so therefore, I am looking for help and/or an expert.

I would like to use a split refrigeration system, ideally with two small evaporators and a fractional hp compressor.

Room is 9x12x8. My BTU calculations indicate 1136btu per hour requirement at the max (Bohn Engineering Dept estimates no more than 1600btuh).

I am looking to achieve 55 to 58f and 70%RH (10%+/-). This cellar would hold 1500 to 2500 bottles of wine. This is a prototype build for a potential custom-build business venture.

Can someone help with the design and specification of the equipment? I have received estimates from 1/5 hp to 1/2hp.

Thanks,

HB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never designed one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... kidding aside, why is humidity an issue when the bottles are sealed? If it is important to stay 70% year-round, it is a value which should be easy to maintain during hot outside weather and hard to maintain during cold weather. Depends of course where you live. You would need a humidifier. Your dehumidifer is your cooling coil. Your BTU load seems low, although I understand there is generally not much heat load in a basement. Think of the smallest window AC you can buy - your calc shows that you need one four times smaller than that. It might be okay with the lack of heat load, but if somebody breathes or even passes gas in there it might take a day to get the room cool again. I'd go a little bigger just by hunch. I'm not sure about the horsepower range, but it probably would be less than that of a small window AC... good luck & cheers! -Chas

Humidity needs to be controlled otherwise either (a) corks dry out and air gets into the wine, or (b) corks get too mouldy and mould gets into the wine.

Temperature stability is much more important than ABSOLUTE temperature. It can be hot or cold (relatively speaking) as long as it doesn't chnage too quickly.

Biggest question re heat load is "how often does the door get opened and how much heat gets in then?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back