Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting Acme Screw Threads... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyLake

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2003
US
I have to cut a 2-4" Acme screw thread on a shaft and make 2 mating nuts to match. I made a "go" gauge so that as soon as the "go" gauge is able to fit into the nut I know that I have the proper clearances. The "go" gauge was made slightly larger than a standard shaft would be. The problem occurred when the "go" gauge went into the nut the major diameter of the nut was .040 bigger than it should be.

Sizes:

Major Dia of go gauge: 2.020 (Min of Major dia of nut)
Minor Dia of go gauge: 1.750 (Min of Minor dia of nut)

Major Dia of Nut: 2.078 (Min 2.020 Max 2.040)
Minor Dia of Nut: 1.754/1.756

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With Acme threads the width of the thread is probably not correct on one of the parts, so you have to cut over size to make the width correct.

We cut acme pin/boxes everyday, do you know there are different types of acme thread forms? also different classes of fit,ie:- 2g-3g-4g, smaller the number of fit 2g the bigger the tolerance between male and female thread,is the pitch on your lathe ok?---- if you drop me an e-mail with the correct size of thread--example 2" x 4tpi acme class 2g, i will send you a print out from our gage maker system which is software that we use-- where are you based?--we are in Scotland

Hi there pohbah,
I wouls also like the a general print out of the same acme thread as an example.

I would also like to enquire uf you know of a company in Scotland who sells workshop machining equipment, i.e. Lathes, millers, horiz/vert borers, slotters (all non CNC), lapping machines, etc? I require to gain firm quotes for 17 machines in total?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back