Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting corners on automotive engines 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesrus

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2003
US
Like the crankshaft snout that has no keyway cut into it, and requires a nice tight bolt to push on the harmonic balancer to keep the timing gear from rotating and throwing the valve actuating system out of time.
And best of all the bolt has a right hand thread (clock wise to tighten) and that end of the crankshaft turns the same direction, so you have not only dynamic movement from engine and firing pulses, but also any belt driven accessories like alternator, power steering pump and what ever else is belt driven tending to loosen that bolt. I personally don't think you would ever find such idiocy on an aircraft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No offense to your user name but Bimmers find very unusual ways to fail. My favorite is the top mount oil filter housing that leaks on to the serpentine belt which causes the rubber to deteriorate and shred apart. The pieces that come off get between the crank pulley and front seal and then get pumped in to the oil pan. The now internalized belt remnants clog the oil pump pickup and destroy the engine. This can all happen within a few thousand miles.

Yes, but note the engine appears to have over 200,000 miles on it. With that high of mileage, you are headed for trouble. The belt usually starts making noise prior to failure and don't understand how that was missed.

My favorite on the same engine is the failure of the eccentric shaft. BMW recommends a 10,000 mile oil change interval. With the dirty oil likely at this interval, it will lead to failure of the eccentric shaft.

eccentric shaft

I have a BMW out in the field.
Unfortunately the doors were locked when the battery failed.
I found instructions on YouTube.

Open the hood and connect a jumper from a good battery to the wire feeding the under hood light.
You will be able to backfeed enough voltage to operate the electric door locks.
What a great idea.
If I ever get into the car to pull the hood release I can do that.
Wait, with the hood open why would I not just use the under hood jumper battery posts? If I get in the car to open the hood.
Plan "B".
Crawl under the car and put a jumper wire on the starter terminal.
I got as far as blocking the car up and then discovered that there is a large skid plate under the engine and I can't even see the starter.
Maybe some year I will get around to taking the skid plate off and see what the next challenge is but it is not a high priority.
My attitude is;
"So what. It's just a Bimmer."
And as long as it sits in the field I don't have to worry about any other failure mechanisms.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

There is usually a way to get doors without key holes open without battery power, like using a key from the FOB to open the trunk and then pull a hidden cable in there. There is also usually a way to get the hood open if the cable breaks. But then, on a BMW who knows. German engineering tends to be making things way more complicated than they need to be.

There is only one external keyhole. The key works on a switch that opens the electric door locks.
I offered my sympathies to the last BMW owner that I met.
If anyone knows how to get the hood open, please share with me.
If there is a way into the car, I will be forced to adjust my opinion of German engineering.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Use the mechanical key open the trunk and replace/jump the battery.
or
Use the mechanical key to open the drivers door, pull the hood release, connect to jumper. If electrically operated hood release, pull the plastic cover to the bottom of the buttons and pull the mechanical cable to open the hood.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Use the mechanical key
There is only one external keyhole. The key works on a switch that opens the electric door locks.
It's an X5,SUV. About 15 or more years old.

I'm trying to avoid that, Lionel, but I have considered breaking a window.
Some years back I was coming home from a fly-in site in an old Oldsmobile.
Late on a cold icy night, about 100 miles from home, I stopped for gas and accidentally locked my keys in the car.
I broke a small quarter window on a back door. I thought that that would be the cheapest.
NOT
The glass shop told me that that would be a special order with a long delivery time and would cost over $800.
That was over twice the cost of a windshield.
I was able to get a cheap replacement out of a parts car.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Did you turn the key far enough. 45* activates the switch to electrically unlock and 90* mechanically unlocks the door. Might have to pull the handle while turning the key too. It also might have a hidden key slot on the rear hatch.

I used to have an Audi. The passenger door handle had a flip-up cover on the handle which opened with a key.
Right hand drive car though...

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

If you have the first generation X5 E53 (manufactured between (1999 and 2006), here is the work around:

Link

If you have the second generation X5 E70, your keyfob has a key in it, which you can use in the old-fashioned way.

Thanks for the tip Lionel, but no joy. The key turns 90 degrees either way, I tried with the handle pulled and not pulled.No luck, But thanks for caring.
Bimr; That approach looks promising. I am faced with a choice of removing the wheel and fender skirt or removing the skid pan.
I will probably follow the suggestion in your link and remove the wheel.
It may not be soon. It's minus 10 C today.
I bought the car for my daughter but she didn't like it. I drove it a little, but did not bother to renew the insurance and plates at the end of the year.
Its next trip may be onto a trailer and off to an auction.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Still not sure which model that you have. On the first and second generation X5 6 cylinder models, the starter is located above the engine underneath the intake manifold. Removing the skid plate will not provide access to the starter. On the X5 8 cylinder models, the starter is located on the bottom of the engine, however it is probably impossible to attach a battery cable to the starter because of limited access and the possibility of shorting the battery clamp.

Another problem that you will probably run into is rodents. When cars are sitting idle the rodents find places to nest, sometimes chewing up the wires and other things.

Call your local BMW Dealer. Tell them you love the car and thinking of buying another. But..you're currently p**sed off.

They might tell you how to do it.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Thanks guys.
Bimr's link at 16:59 is probably the way to go.

Spartan5. Thanks. I appreciate your effort.
But that video shows the hatch open. If the hatch is open you can open the doors from the inside.
And, when the hatch is open, the battery is under the spare tire. Just jump or charge the battery.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Get an entry kit for like $40.

It's got plastic wedges, an air bladder and a piece of aluminum rod in a plastic jacket that you bend to suit. You pry the upper corner of the door, get the rod in and use it to pull the latch. Helps if you have a spotter looking in the other side of the car too. Good lockout people will be in in minutes, you or me, less than an hour.

waross said:
Spartan5. Thanks. I appreciate your effort.
But that video shows the hatch open. If the hatch is open you can open the doors from the inside.
And, when the hatch is open, the battery is under the spare tire. Just jump or charge the battery.

I’m pretty sure it just shows the hatch open to facilitate recording the steps. Open or closed, the license plate lamps and release button are still accessible from outside the vehicle. You’re just feeding 12V through a different point in the system then where the battery is located.

It seems like the easiest and most straightforward thing to try first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back