Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting trouble 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Matt,

With that image it seems a problem with unstable cutting (sometimes cuts clean other times just doesnt). This can happen because of your protective window or because of the laser centering. Did you check those?

Hope it helped.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Thanks for the response ok will check centering next time and also what do you mean by protective window???

Thanks Matt

Hello again,

In my case (PRECITEC HEAD FIBER LASER) I have a protective window above 200mm of the nozzle, and sometimes, it gets points of "dirt" and it makes the cut unstable or it makes impossible to cut.

If it is possible I clean it, if not, I have to replace it for a new one.

Hope it helped,

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Hi Chris

Yes I have been cutting along of 8mm and only a couple of times I have had this happen
But I just don't know why
Thanks Matt

If you're using known good parameters then I'd look at anything that could affect beam quality. Everything the beam bounces off or goes through is suspect, including the lens, protection window if you have one and the quality of the air in the beam delivery conduits. I had a customer whose machine cut like this if someone left the forklift running near their air compressor, the fumes, while transparent to us, were like black smoke to the wavelength the laser outputs. could also be too much oxygen

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

affa289 - We had a similar problem with our laser less than a month ago. If you have a way to stress test your lens it may give you a surprising result. Our lenses looked almost perfect but had huge stress points running through them. It seems as though your lens is absorbing a lot of your power.

Does this happen after a certain amount of cutting time? Or is it completely random?

What laser are you using?

A sheet of polarizing film or glasses and an LCD monitor with a white screen (MS paint or blank Word Document) make for a cheap way to image stressed areas.
Look through the film with the lens in front of the monitor, stress will show up as rainbow colors.
You may have to rotate the film or your head for the best effect.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a F1-3015-NT & CANNOT GET IT TO CUT 1/2" worth a crap. New lens a month ago and I see spotting on it. Very new to this game. Been cutting thinner gauges fine although yesterday I started having trouble with 1/4". Same issue. Has me wondering what the problem is, as it seems to be getting worse. Any help is appreciated.
Amada sure is proud of their service. I'll leave it at that.

krugtech,
Would this be an issue for a service tech to address? Also, what size nozzle would you recommend for 1/2" HRS? A good set of cut conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Chris will have to look into it some more and fab pro we are using a Amada lcg3015 Co2 it's been good so far only thing that let's it down is me I think :) in saying that was cutting some 20mm witch is at its maximum was cutting ok but did have a spot that went a bit mad on all the plates thanks Matt

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=48804011-9bae-42a7-974f-0400c2bacaec&file=IMG_20171111_115553.jpg
Ok, so the Amada tech came and the beam was way out of alignment. Lined it up.He tried to test cuts unsuccessfully of course and bailed. This morning I actually did cut a few pieces of 1/2" today. Got those couple through & now it's back to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back