Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cwi exam 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

denio

Structural
Dec 6, 2010
US
Well took the exam studied the books for one week at the semiar even with 20 years of welding experiance i bombed the test. Looking for a course around my area or online to help me study for the re-exam can anyone help me out???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you take the 5 day seminar offered by AWS before the test? This is always my first recommendation.

Steel Structures Technology Center, Bob Shaw, teaches a good course. His little resource book is also helpful.

I know PE's that have failed the test repeatedly. It is a combination of technical knowledge and practical experience. Also the D1.1 encompasses many procedures and principals that you may have never used in 20 years of welding. Good luck next time.

denio...I taught AWS CWI review courses early in the development of the CWI designation. I found that many knowledgeable individuals failed the exam because they were not used to taking exams. In my courses I taught the technical provisions as well at "how to take the exam". I did not "teach the exam", but I did teach some test taking strategies. At that time, there were three code choices...AWS, API and ASME....you'd have to be nuts to choose ASME, even if you worked in it. AWS and API were much cleaner and more direct for examination purposes...the exam has changed though, so I'm not familiar with the current code selection.

In any case, be prepared for the test format and timing. That's important. As connectegr noted, PE's have failed the test, as have those with tremendous welding experience.

Don't feel too bad, only a small percentage passes the test the first time.

I studied a coworker's Fundamentals book and tabbed my D1.1 just like his, studied for 6 months, only took the Friday hands-on seminar and then only passed the CWI test by 3 questions on one part.

Just like what was pointed out here, there is a strategy to taking the tests. Heck the closed book Fundamentals test is 150 questions in 120 minutes meaning you must know the book front to back.

Now that you have taken the test, just belly up the money and retake after further study. Have a friend time test you using the sample questions over and over again.

Good luck to ya,
Robert P.

I have taken the CWI exam twice; passed on the first attempt in each case.

The first time I took it, I attended a review course and I still found the fundamentals portion of the exam challenging-open book and practical were easy. I was sure I had flunked and was truly surprised that I passed it. In fact, I found it much harder than the PE exam. The second time I took the exam, it was a piece of cake.

I highly recommend taking a seminar which you did. The AWS seminar, however, is beneficial to individuals who have studied a lot ahead of time. In your case, you should not have signed up to take the exam the day after the seminar ended. You should have given yourself between 4-6 weeks of study prep time prior to taking the exam.

Most individuals who come to the seminar without a lot of studying under their belt and hope to put it all together during the 5-day seminar do not pass.

Contact your local AWS Chapter and enquire about a review course in your area.

I just took the test and failed the fundamentals. I did find this website which boasts a 95% pass rate. If I had to do over again I would have went with a longer seminar such as this one or the one offered by Hobart.

realeducational.com

I just took mine and I am still waiting on the results. It was a lot tougher than I originally thought, but I feel pretty good about passing. I felt the exam was just as much (or more) about test taking strategy as it was welding content. Keeping my fingers crossed.......

I took the test in December 2010 also. I passed on my first go but still recommend attending a training session regardless your experience in welding. This was the hardest test I have taken to date and I have passed the API 510, 570 and 653 exams. I attended the CWI prep at Hobart in Troy Ohio...EXCELLENT Training!!

I just passed the PE exam back in Dec and wanted to try and become a CWI. I saw on the AWS website that they require three years experience. Is that requirement a 3-year of 100% welding observation? I know that ICC required 100% time spent "inspecting" reinforced concrete for 4 years before being dubbed ICC RC special inspector.

Get a free download copy of AWS B5.1 and QC1 from the AWS website ( There are several work categories that can qualify as relevant work experience.

Design is one of those categories that you should fall into.

Best regards - Al

You can also count school for some of your experience (and it doesn't have to be specifically welding school). The experience can also be generically welding-related and not just inspection.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Some advise I recieved (especially true for highly experienced people) :

Understand that this course is meant for comparatively less qualified persons and questions need to be taken at its face value and not read too much into it.

Go thoroughly with the course material

Tag only after understanding what is available at that location

Try to get sample questions and solve as much as possible.

Seminar is a must - (But prepare max before that).

Best of luck next time

Andy

I am sorry . I just reproduced what one of my colleagues told his friend (a highly qualified -I think Masters in Engineering & Level III !!!) person) from the welding field who did not clear his CWI in his 1st attempt. He was , I think , pointing o the fact that more qualified we become , we try to read too much into the questions, there by getting confused. Actually, I consider myself also in the "comparatively less qualified persons" - category. Surely, no offence meant!!

Sorry once again for wrong usage of words

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back