Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cylindrical Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPosner

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2007
US
Goal:

Cyclindrical cam, barrel cam, drum cam, however you want to call it.

Trying to make a slot radially on a cylinder.

My approach:

Extrude the cylinder
Sketch slot path on a plane tangent to the cylinder
insert-curve-projection - project sketch onto cylinder surface
Sketch sweep profile on a plane that is normal to the curve.

Initial prototype is made on cnc lathe with live tooling to cut that radial cams/slot. or vmc with 4th axis.

Sweep cut with sketch and projected curve.

Errors/issues...

No matter what options I choose, the profile still twists along the path. The closest I have gotten is to "counter-twist" by twisting appx 10deg so it "looks" like it
doesn't twist.

Guide curves are tricky and have only given me more problems.

I get a lot of intersecting profiles until i tweak the profile.

Any tips/suggestions, approaches? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This have been discussed here before, run a search on barrel cams. I personally am of the opinion that you need the ability to sweep a solid to make a accurate barrel cam. I'm still on SW2005 and SW doesn't have this ability yet. I cannot speak for later releases.

Timelord

Yes ... The Swept Solid function allows an actual solid shape (say a milling cutter) to be swept and cut from another solid. A Cut-Sweep only cuts a sketched profile which gives a slightly different result.

I believe it is still an approximation, but is much closer to reality.

files.solidworks.com/supportfiles/Whats_new/2008/English/whatsnew.pdf

[cheers]

Its very slow and consumes tons of memory to run. You will not be able to use this feature for large complex shapes. The one in the what's new takes about 5-15 minutes to rebuild varies on PC's.

I personally am not going to recommend this feature because so many people are going to try and use it for something its not ready for and this is the initial release of the command. So its in it's infancy stages.

Good luck!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back