CYME to Etap Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAffoonnjjee

Electrical
Apr 10, 2017
FR
Hello engineers!

I'm looking for help with importing a CYME model into Etap. On Etap's official website it mentions the ability to do this but I was not able to figure out how. Below is the image from Etap's official website that shows this. Please help me figure out how to do this.
Etap.Cyme_aywzaa.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why? Never really worked with either, but we have CYME. Nothing I know about either would lead to selecting either from the available field. It seems to me that CYME is bad and ETAP is horrible. For something at a plant/facility/campus level I’d lean toward SKM or Easypower. (Used SKM, a lot once upon a time, never used Easypower.) Now I live in a OneLiner world and find the gulf to to CYME side of things to be far greater than it should be.

I’d really like to see a common base data format that then allows one to run whatever analysis front end the user desires. If that existed I could push my OneLiner studies well into the distribution system and the CYME users could easily grab a better picture of the source configurations.

One of the huge problems is that OneLiner and Cape model in the three symmetrical components, all the “PS…” software only uses the positive sequence, but all of the distribution system and facility focused packages work in the phase domain to allow single phase taps and loads.

So, best to stick with the smallest set of modeling packages you can get away with. One is vastly better than two.

Sorry, not much help, but push for a common base data layer.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

davidbeach,

I did not understand what you mean. Was your response alluding to using only one type of software?
My intent is to model a motor in Etap because CYME's Motor Start - Dynamic Analysis module does not provide the results I'm expecting. I need to export all of the conductors and the source equivalent information from CYME into Etap. Is this possible to do? If it is not possible to do, why then this feature is listed on Etap's official website?

My experience is that despite promises of compatibility between competing software packages it often doesn't work well. A basic model has a hard time making a round trip from package A to B and then back to A.

It's much easier to find a package that does everything you need than to go back and forth. That's why I'd really like to see an industry standard equipment parameter database format, but there doesn't seem to be much of a driver for it.

In the utility T&D realm, there wind up being at least four similar but incompatible models all with their own data sets and no easy way between them.

Over the years here, most of the modeling questions seem to focus on how do I do something in ETAP? That suggests that ETAP may not be the most user friendly package out there.

So, mostly a bit of a rant against the need to go back and forth and the near impossibility of smoothly doing so.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

davidbeach,

I consider that fraud then from Etap's side. If they're selling modules that don't perform the way advertised then it is fraud.
From my understanding, I would need to completely re-draw the entire model I have in CYME but in Etap to have them match. That is how I was supposed to understood you?

Have Cyme but not ETAP. Watched a video on youtube featuring ETAP 14 and there was an XML import in the DataX module, did you try that? Do you know how to export files from Cyme? Are you on the latest version of ETAP? Maybe ask ETAP?

Based on my experience, I advise you to be skeptical of all claims of data exchange between power system analysis programs. Nearly all of these programs have proprietary data formats and all imports/exports of models will be incomplete, at best. You might be able to get basic model topology and data on impedances to come across. Data on devices such as circuit breakers, fuses and especially protective relays will be more problematic, if even supported.

Feel free to pursue your fraud case, but the fastest solution to your original problem may be to import what you can and rebuild the rest, or simply recreate a simplified version of the system model in the new software.

Good luck.

Dave

Well, the reason for my quest with Etap is because the Motor Start - Dynamic Analysis module in CYME does not work properly. In the load characteristics options, my electrical torque curve is below the mechanical load torque, hence motor cannot start. I tried contacting CYME support to no avail, it was a complete waste of time. That is why I'm trying to model the same thing in Etap and so far I believe it's giving me better results.
At the same time, I would like to have the CYME module working since everyone I deal with works in CYME and not in Etap.

Hi AAffoonnjjee,
Personally, I have experienced with CYME, SKM and ETAP all are good engineering software but ETAP has a better user friendly features compare to others nowaday!!

It is easy to do actually for transfer or importing exchange database between software. Note that ETAP can compare projects and merge projects as well..
To answer your question, please follow below;
- Open new project in ETAP
- On Menu Bar you will see menu named "DataX"
- Click or expand, you will see "Import CYME Project" then click it
- Then you have to locate your CYME project file "CYME Sxst Data File, *sxst file"
- Then the ETAP lunch the project..

You can open Help on the specific topic by;
- On sub-menu "Import CYME Project" just click "F1 key", then ETAP will routed you to complete details help & support.

Hope above is useful and answer your question.

ElecEE8,

Which version of Etap are you using? I don't have "Import CYME Project" as you are saying. Here is a snap shot of what I see on my screen:

2021-09-19_133056_tqvibf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back