Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D.C. Brush motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lan3

Industrial
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have been looking at a D.C. Brush motor that is rated at 60 volts, 12.9 amps con't, 58 amps peak. It also has a Ke of 13.4 v/krpm and a Kt of 1.13 lbin/amp...Does the Ke mean if I put 13.4 volts into the motor I will get 1000rpm out????

Can I use a unregulated supply??

Thanks for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, if you apply 13.4 volts, the motor will go ~1000 rpm. Ke is the Voltage constant, defined as you have it Volts per 1000 rpm...how many volts does it take to go 1000 rpm.

Yes, you want to use an unregulated supply. From what I have been told, a regulated supply can starve the motor of power when demanded.

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Suggestions marked ///\\I have been looking at a D.C. Brush motor that is rated at 60 volts, 12.9 amps con't, 58 amps peak. It also has a Ke of 13.4 v/krpm and a Kt of 1.13 lbin/amp...Does the Ke mean if I put 13.4 volts into the motor I will get 1000rpm out????
///Yes, since Ke=V/RPM=13.4 V/kRPM, or
RPM=V/Ke=13.4V/(13.4V/krpm)=1000 rpm for 13.4 Volts.
k=1000\\
Can I use a unregulated supply??
///A regulated power supply will keep the voltage at about the same level with the motor being loaded on its shaft.\\\

Ke is called as back emf constant. It indicates the relation between motor speed and induced back emf. Ke will help you determine motor armature current at certain speed such as
I=(Applied Vdc- Ke*speed)/R_armature.

This equation ignores field current.

If you ignore I*R_armature then your understanding is right. But usually this is not the case.

If your application does not require precise speed regulation, than you won't need regulated supply. Because voltage variation will directly effect the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back