Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damping for Piezoelectric Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazensage

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2012
US
I am doing a transient contact analysis of an ultrasonic motor that vibrates in the y-direction, but moves linearly in the x. It is a 2-D simultation. There are feet on the actuator that contact a surface to allow it to move forwards via friction. I have modeled the feet and surface as a node-line flexible-flexible contact problem. What I see is that at the beginning of the Analysis the actuator bounces very high off of the ground (there is some bounce but this is a bit too much). It also bounces too much in the steady state. I have refined the mesh, decreased timestepping, decreased normal stiffness, etc to no avail. I need the surface the feet impact to impart a sort of "coefficient of restitution" to the feet. Using APDL 12.0 there isn't a way to do this other then COMBIN40 I was told. Unfortunately as soon as I put COMBIN40 elements in with a large damping coefficient and very low gap to do this, the problem does not converge.

Does anyone know of a way to implement a coefficient of restition to dampen some of this bouncing? Is there a way to get of the high initial bounce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back