Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Extraction/Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccable

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2003
GB
Hi
I want to create a table using the extraction wizard.The table consists of many items. Every so often the client may ask for an item to be deleted so I need to remove it from the drawing. The clients like to see "omitted" in place of the item in the table so that it is obvious which items have been removed and so all other items can keep the original item numbers. There could be lots of omitted items on a drawing as the client swaps and changes there minds. How can this be achieved? Every time the table is updated the "omitted" items disapear from the table. I have tried locking the cell in which "omitted" is entered but this has odd effects on the table. I thought that if I left the items on the drawing to the side out of the way then they would still appear on the table but it would mean creating another column / attribute to say "omitted" Anybody come across this and if so what is the best solution.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's a thought:
add some attributes to all of the items (blocks). Within your table under say description of the item column, now that your items all have attributes, add the description of the item as an attribute, when you are omiting an item type 'omitted' in place of the description, and create a layer called - omitted items, place all omitted items on that layer, and turn off the layer. They'll still show up in the table but not in the drawing.

Steve

type 'dataextraction' in the command line, the wizard will step you thru the process...it creates a table when you are all done.
hit F1 key and read the help section for 'data extraction tables'

I am still using ACAD 2005 and I either make my own tables or OLE Excel. Can't help you until I see how this dataextraction command can be manipulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back