Data Logging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trev150

Electrical
Oct 3, 2007
GB
Hello Everyone,

I have been a little problem to solve and I could do with some input.

I need to trend a vacuum pressure level inside a tank at approximately 10Hz (every 0.1s). I was going to go with a Allen Bradley PLC and a sensor with an analogue output of 4-20mA or 0-10volt but the budget is not there for this as its a new company and they haven't budgeted for the initial software cost. This is only for R&D so I can choose any hardware I like as long as the cost is reasonable.

I was looking at a sensor like this to use "SPT25-20-V30D PRESS XMTR -14.7 TO 30 PSI 4-20mA 1/4in MNPT DIN L-CONN" from Automation Direct

Then try and use one of these data loggers from Pico Tech.

Ideally the data can be manipulated in excel but if not as long as it can bring up a nice graph would be good. Has anybody any other ideas?

Thanks Trevor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you're willing to have a host PC connected to your logger. In that case there are plenty of suitable loggers out there, many of them a bit cheaper and simpler than the one you propose. For example, the LabJack U12. There are smaller, more dedicated purpose devices, but I'm not sure if they'll quite match your requirements. For example, the DATAQ EL-USB-4 is close, but only logs at 1Hz.

On the transducer front, take your pick! Note though that AutomationDirect is just a very pervasive search engine result aggregater, not a manufacturer. Follow the links a bit further to find other more relevant suppliers and manufacturers.

Did you see the "Click" line of PLC's...
Heck I've been using the Arduino board $20-30 for a bunch of work stuff lately.. Test fixtures,etc...

This particular Arduino comes with Labview: so you can datalog and use Labview to process the data, or control other things of interest.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I have also used the redlion data station, you can stack a analog card on and data log the info to the data station, it would then be available over tcp/ip or they have a built in web server the opens up in internet explorer. Pretty solid hardware, software is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back