Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Datum as plane tangent to two cylindrical surfaces 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw_0407

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2023
US
I have a part with two partial cylindrical surfaces and I want to make a datum that is the plane tangent to the two surfaces, as the mating part has a flat surface that is seated up against them.

Part is similar to this example I mocked up:
datum1_ojheja.png

And I want the datum to be tangent to both surfaces, like so:
datum2_lendmk.png

Can I just sketch a line between them on a top-down view like in the above picture, and attach a datum to that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"The reasoning for the targets in 7-58 is they are separate parts of a single datum which do not form a plane as opposed to being multiple contacts forming a single datum plane"

Multiple contacts forming a single datum plane could as well describe a datum targets application such as datum feature A in figure 7-60 (3 coplanar datum target areas). So that is hardly a criterion for the choice between the two types of datum feature designating symbols.

A much more likely criterion is: defined local contacts for datum targets vs. the entire surface/surfaces of a particular datum feature potentially intended to make contact with the simulator of the datum when the datum feature symbol is used without datum targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back