Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dead Quadro FX1700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Updraft

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
US
My FX1700 died on my home computer. It served me well and I would be happy with something comparable to it or a little better, but without breaking the bank. The SWX website lists approved cards, but doesn't help with selection. nVidia's "Help me choose" section doesn't work worth a crap - maybe it is okay for gaming cards, but is no help for my needs.

I've seen from Charlie Culp and Anna Wood's presentation at SWW2014 that the AMD FirePro series has a lot of cards that are comparable to NVidia ones and apparently a little better in price. I only downloaded this presentation, but without speaker notes we miss out on a lot of information. ( BTW, I did search this forum first, to no avail.

Tom's Hardware has some good information, but still does not really get through the morass.

I have two monitors on my home computer and am running Win-7 Pro 64-bit. I use SWX2014, but only on one monitor at a time. The other monitor will usually have a spreadsheet or Word or the internet on it. That said, I need to support two monitors, but they actually do not have to both be DVI, only the SWX monitor. The other could be VGA. Since this is for my budget computer I'd like to keep the costs low. (Any recommended card will of course be cross-checked with the SWX list of approved cards. I learned that the VARs are quick to point to any little thing that you have that is not on the approved list as the reason you are having a problem!)

Please, recommend a replacement card. I expect to get the best price from Newegg or Amazon, but will also check Tom's Hardware.

Thanks in advance,

- - -Updraft

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had some problems with my nvidia quadro 5500 when I upgraded from 2013 to 2014. I looked at SW web site for drivers and there were none for SW 2014 for Win7 pro 64 bit but there were approved drivers for previous versions. FWIW the "official" SolidWorks forums indicate quite a few are experiencing problems with the nvidia cards with approved drivers. I, like CBL, am partial to nvidia but I am having to rethink my opinion. I wound up with another nvidia quadro 5800 at work. At home I have a AMD firepro V5800 and it works fine but I don't use or stress it as hard a my work station at work. I also have noted some issues at work...nothing too major. I'm not sure if it's the video card or SW 2014. I usually wait to upgrade at SP3 and I'm wishing I had this year as well. Sorry for the ramble.
I get my cards on ebay and have never been disappointed or had one go bad. I'm on my 5th card from ebay. Three are in other workstations I built.
Good Luck

weevoe

Contacted nVidia with my questions and was surprised to get such a quick answer. Ended up ordering a Quadro K600 for ~$160. It outperforms the FX1700. The Quadro K2000 is the next step up but costs over $400. That is hard for me to justify for my home machine.

Thanks for the input.

- - -Updraft

Yeah I am with ctopher on that one... I have the Quadro K5000M in my laptop and I am not impressed with it. It has gotten better over the last year of using it (better drivers), but for the money it was not worth it.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back