Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear Experts, Hai, I would like

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREERAAM

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2015
IN
Dear Experts,

Hai, I would like to know the Reference standard of BUTT WELDMENT width allowable dimensions for Chilled water pipe line.

WELDING DETAILS

2" ERW CS STEEL PIPE WELDED WITH ELBOW. ALLOWABLE WELDMENT WIDTH FOR THIS THE WELDMENT?

PHOTO ATTACHED FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

Regards,

G.SRIRAM.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Dream,Dream,Dream Dream transforms in to thoughts.And thoughts result in action

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f925be36-d115-4a79-9938-762575cabeb9&file=IMG-20160628-WA0004.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Check the WPS for joint configuration (Was fitup acceptable?)
2. Check the WPS to see that weaving is permissible.(If impacts are applicable, you may exceed heat input with weaving)
3. Check the WPS for any notes on maximum weaving, such as "3x electrode diameter".
4. Blurry pic, but looks fine.

Whatever the welding procedure says. You do have one don't you?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Dear Mr.maxdistortion,

Pipe 2" sch 40(3.91mm W.T) ASTM A53 Gr.B ERW pipe. with SA 234 WPB 90 DEG Elbow welding.

Dear Mr.David.

Fit up was made in vendor shop so not possible to inspect on that stage and no impact required.

One of my friend suggested to check the ASME B31.4 Latest edition is it ok? to refer the standard for the Chilled water pipe lines.(Pre insulated pipe lines).

Thank you all(maxdistortion,david339933 & LittleInch).

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

The standard weld prep is a 37 degree angle bevel and the weld covers that plus a bit, with a root gap of usually 3-5mm.

Your weld looks like it had an excessive root gap and therefore they filled in the middle bit with weld metal.

doesn't look good, wouldn't be acceptable probably in high pressure or hydrocarbon piping, but chilled water??

If it passes the pressure test, what exactly is your concern / question?

Creeraam, you could use welding gauge (or a straight edge and some feeler gauges to see if the high-low is adequate. I wouldn't be too concern with it being water service. If it was me, I would have my welding foreman have a look at it, and if he doesn't like it I would have it x-rayed.

Dear Experts,

Mr.LittleInch,Mr.MickMc & Mr.maxdistortion.

Thank You All.

In our shop we don't carry HYDROTEST. In our shop we carry hydrotest for HDPE pressure pipes only. "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SITE HYDROTEST". My concern is for the weldment information to be given for welders it doesn't come in future weldings. Straightness is good. But the weldment width only is quite to big for 2" pipe.

REGARDS,

G.SRIRAM.

Creeraam,

I'm just not sure if you know, so excuse me if you do, but " weldment information to be given for welders " is called a Welding Procedure Specification or WPS. This gives the welder all the information and more to perform proper welds.

As I said, I suspect in your photo that the root gap for some reason is bigger than it should be and they have made up the gap using weld metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back