Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Decal line boarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydriden

Industrial
Nov 11, 2013
US
I recently added our company logo to a SolidWorks2012 assembly. In both the real view and in renders I see a white line at the top edge of the decal. File Type is PNG

I have tried the following...
- Gone into the Decal and made sure this line isn't another shade of white, I'm using the Selective Color Mask.
- Reapplied the decal in a new drawing, line still appears.
- Changed the mapping type and ratios.
- Made a new decal from a different file, line still appears.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with decals? How can I make it go away?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does either of your Decals (Mask) have a transparent area? If so, SW sees that as a white area and not transparent when your in your imaging software. If you could post the decals including the mask I might be able to help.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I don't have a transparent area in my decals. And I've tried using different formats other than PNG to see if any format data caused something like transparencies. BMP16, BMP256, Tiff, JPEG and PNG all give me that same line I show in the example. And when I make give the image a colored background like red, the color is there and I have to select it for removal.

I took your decal, made a mask of it, and I worked fine:

fs504.jpg

Attached is the files I used.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

Are you creating a split line or some other way of marking the area on your model of where to place the label? I have very little experience using labels but I do remember having issues with scaling and placement on a few occasions. Just wondering if the issue isn't in the label itself - but possibly how it's applied to the model.

rbpmc I am not doing anything to the model to locate the decal. Just using mapping to locate and scale it.

Mr. Scott Baugh, CSWP thank you very much for the mask file. I've never made one before and thought I'd be able to get away with doing the selective mask. The image looks great, has a cleaner outline then before AND doesn't have that darn white line at the top.

Just showed the final render to some new shop guys and gave them a story about how we put a drop cloth down and put some well polished product on it over a weekend to take pictures. Totally believed it.

Thanks a lot guys

New question. Someone pointed out to me that the R at the end of Filter is grey, not dark. When I look at the mask image all the letters are white except for the R.

Am I ok to go into the mask and make the R white or will that cause issues?

Each of your letters have a shadow around which will cause the gray look. But if the whole letter is gray then there is a problem.

Do note my website - - it will help you create a Mask image in the future and might help you with this issue as well.

Kind Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back