Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

decipher this german circuit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingneckedhorse

Electrical
Jul 31, 2014
US

What does the circuit in the above link do? We've been asked by a client to look into using this to combine power sources with different voltages into a "halfway voltage" power supply. E.g. Input 5V and 3V supply and out the other side comes a 4V supply. I can't make heads or tails of the circuit in the link. Simulations aren't matching up to what the breadboard proto does either; I can provide more details if anybody is curious, but neither supports a the requested use case. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

?? It looks to be a source follower totem pole, n-channel on top, p-channel on bottom. However, it will have a gigantic dead zone in the middle. On bipolar versions, there would be two diodes between the base connections to remove the dead zone.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Oh, OK, should have run the translator first. So, all it is is a buffered voltage divider, but there doesn't seem to be anything solve the dead zone problem. And, it's not a particularly good buffer, because of that.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Ah ok. Thanks. How would it buffer the voltage value of the resistor divider across to the output? I can't visualize how that would happen unless the FETs were operating in their linear regions, but that would be no good for a power source, no? To me, it looks like either the top rail being passed or the bottom rail being passed with a dead zone from -Vfet_threshold to + Vfet_threshold. Is that not the case?

No, they're source followers, so they'll follow, with a FET threshold drop, the voltage at the tap in the resistor divider. If this is what you want to do, the LH0063 would probably be a better choice, since it's got something like 98% gain, which is better than the circuit in the patent, and it'll supply a reasonably amount of current. the original National Semi datasheet. ~1/4 amp from the LH0063.

Alternately, if you want to buffer the voltage divider, a simple power op amp circuit would be less of a bother, since its gain would be in the 99.9% range.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

A patent on a complementary source-follower charging a couple of caps?

Wow... just wow...

Apart from that, if the FETs are depletion-mode types, the circuit will work. But those are scarce nowadays.

Benta.

Sure, but depletion mode transistors don't really help the accuracy, and they're typically not intended for high current applications.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

As a native German speaker I'd like to shed some light into the topic:

on the circuit itslef:

This is not a circuit for signal processing but for power. In power elctronics e.g in Inverters connected to 400 V three-phase mains, electrolytic caps have to be connectec in series due to their Limitation in voltage rating. To balance the voltage parallel resistors have to be added, creating significant no-load losses. The circuit ensures proper voltage sharing with much lower losses.

On patent law in the ROW (Rest of world, not US): The document attached is an international patent application, not a granted patent. According to depatisnet - an internet service of the german patent office - no national patent related to this application was granted anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back