Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

defenition of raw water source

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2009
KH
hi i am curently qouting for a job and I need to know if I have to alowe the costs of the extra pipe length and bends fittings in my qoute for the return bends on the pendend sprinklers?

NFPA 13 8.14.18.1 states that you must have it in a wet sprinkler system if you have a raw water source, a mill source or an open top resoirvoir

the project setup is a closed undergound combined potable/firefighting water storage suplied with city water supply.

the suply line for the sprinkler stand pipe is also equiped with a strainer before the pressure reducing asembly.

in the definitions of the NFPA 13 there is no explanation what is considered as a raw water source

so can somebody give me more insight in this isue

Thanks
Robert-Jan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Raw water, while not defined, in my mind is not potable water. It can have sediment and minerals in it which can obstruct strainers and essentially "gum up" the system.

Your system, given that it is potable water, is not a raw water system in my mind.

I second;
It is nothing but an emergency water resource taken from anywhere available and susceptible to contain lot of dirt, mud,sediments and foreign material and therefore has to be dealt with extra strainers.

Special care has to be employed to protect against fouling, blockage& possible corrosion and erosion effects on systems and equipment during and after the emergency circumstance.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back