Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defining Double Curvature Using Catia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeydee

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2007
GB
I am trying to develop a method of classification for tooling complexity through the extent of double curvature of a surface. Whilst the Curvature Analysis provides a suitable graphical output for an individual curve the output from the Surface Curvature Analysis appears limited in a max and min curvature point. Is the another method of defining a surface? Thanks in advance
Joey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about 3D MinMax option available in Surfacic Curvature Analysis?

This could give you an overall MinMax value that could be used (for example) to classify the complexity of a draw die section.

catiatrain

I might be off-base with this, but there is an quick visual classification of surfaces if you use the measure tool (the caliper icon) and just hold the cursor over a surface. This will display a little symbol next to the cursor which describes the type of surface it is (planar, cylindrical, conical, or wavy)

Joeydee,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you are trying to relate the complexity of building tooling based on the complexity of the surface data. If this is true, your idea could have alot of benefit to many tools shops and manufacturers. Just a note.

catiatrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back