Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deformable spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had the same problem with torsion springs. Later I decided not to use deformable feature because of its unpredictable results. I think it is beter to use reference sets.
I think deformable feature in nx should be changed essentialy in later releases.

Hi t300,

if you take a look again to Cubalibre00's posted imgage, you will see the real problem. Your postet spring do not have ends for fixing ("ears").

I think deformable parts have problems with assembly constraints/mating conditions. especialy then you add other (not deformable component) ant constrain/mate it to deformable part.
Also there are some isues about position of deformable component in assembly (if your deformable component has sketch or sketches used to design deformable component).

so, in my opinion, try to use reference sets.

@cubalibre00

the problem is that teh helix of your spring is controled by another curve. If you change the reference to entire part you see what happens. The helix moves in relation to the CSYS.
If you create the helix with three formulas for X, Y and Z it won't happen.
See my attached example. It is based on my first example with the bended ends added.

regards Meinolf

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2a4cb04f-ec71-49c3-8b6b-9a7b5bb72a99&file=spring.prt
Hi t300,
thank you to dedicate time and effort to my problem.
I'm using NX7 so I can't open you part.
Anyway I will try to open with NX8 that I'm testing to understand you solution.
I will write here if your solution works fine.

Thank you...

Using NX 7.0.1.7 MP3 and TC8.1

Hi t300,
it doesn't seam work better.
When I try to mate, it occurs problem on visualization or errors.
I stop to use deforming, time spent for nothing.
Anyway...thank you.

Thank you...

Using NX 7.0.1.7 MP3 and TC8.1

As I mentioned above - deformabale component in nx is totaly useless. It is possible to create an example, but if you put it in a an assembly, try to mate it, it gives you a bunch of errors, or stop working....
By the way, dialog for the deformable component was the same in NX2, so nothing have changed until now....

Hi Cubalibre00,

the thing is that when you deform a component the features were recreated in the assembly.
So one problem is that when you create features of a deformable component based on the WCS, they will be recreated on the assemblies WCS.

Also sketches are a problem. If the sketch include arc there is the problem that for an arc there are two possible solutions.
Circles work much better.

In the deformable components I've created in the past I haven't used sketches.
But please understand that I haven't the time to work out a better solution as shown in the example.

Meinolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back