Status
Not open for further replies.

braham0793

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2015
PE
Dear ;

Good afternoon,

A client has asked me to reinforce 4 ships, I am doing the relevant reviews and I have found the following surprise:

BEAM_zlbbkq.jpg

The beam that works as a column has been deformed. According to what my client indicates is because they had problems when mounting the roof and therefore had to deform the column (beam) so that both the base and the roof have the Same measure.

My question is the following:

The column will not be negatively affected if it is straightened by the use of heat ?.

Consider that the column is 5 years old.

Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My question is the following:

The column will not be negatively affected if it is straightened by the use of heat ?.

If this is only about the second time it has been messed with like that......I'd say no. The codes are written with a proportional limit in mind that is considerably lower than the yield point of virgin steel. But I will also say it's not a good idea to expose a section to heat/permanent bending over and over. You are introducing residual stresses every time you do. Eventually it will catch up to you.

Also keep in mind the effect this has on fatigue strength and ductility (i.e. both will be lower compared to a virgin section).

By the way, looking at that pic.....it appears that steel may have been exposed to some corrosive agent. So I'd check into that.

The appearance of the structure is due to the deposition of paint and over time have formed "protective layers" that appear to have rid the steel of the oxidation.

The entire structure works as a "paint booth".

If the column is within acceptable tolerance (AISC has some guidance) then you can leave it alone assuming it was designed correctly - Steel design codes have a built in out of plumb factor. If this is exceeded, it could be analyzed for the as-built condition. If the loads are small, it also may be fine as it is.

I would think if you straighten/ plumb this member, you are just going to deform a different element as you move this one into the 'correct' place.

1.- The column was not designed correctly.
2.- The supporting load is "small".

In conclusion after straightening I will reinforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back