Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete SE files in Teamcenter Express 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerCI

Industrial
Jun 20, 2008
US
We have been using SE for 11 years with another vaulting system(SmarTeam). I migrated 170 thousand unique docs into TcX with the (sometimes inept and expensive) help of Siemens Services. We brought all previous revisions into TcX.
We have been live with TcX 4.1.1 and SE ST2 traditional for just over 2 months.
Users are having intermittent problems deleting their own files. I have found that some 3D files can not be deleted because they still have references to already deleted draft files. Is this a common problem?
Roger S

"WORTH Just because you're necessary doesn't mean you're important."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few things to look for:
1. Does the item (file) have a release status?
2. Does the user have write access?
3. Is the item used in an assembly or draft?

Only the owning user or a dba can delete items (files) from Tcx. The owning user must have write access to the item. IF you are trying to delete an assembly, the user will need to openthe assembly and delete all parts. If you are trying to delete a draft, the user will need to open up the draft and delete all views. If you are trying to delete an item and it is linked in several assemblies/drafts, the user will need to open all and delete out the item you are trying to delete from Tcx. Basically, all links will have to be deleted first before the item will be able to be deleted form Tcx. Any status will need to be removed. Are you on multi-site? If you are on multi-site and have exported or published the item, it gets even more tricky. And if you do all the above and still have issues, a dba will probably need to look at the POM references and turn on the bypass to delete the links before the item can be deleted.

Jamie G.

Sparkie has a well-detailed description of what's going on. Let me see if I can simplify it.

In order to delete an item from Team Center, it must not be referenced anywhere else. So do a "where used" and "used on" search for that part and make sure it has no connections to any other TC items. Then you can delete it from TC.

It sounds like you have been using PDM for a long time, so forgive me if this sounds patronizing. But a SE part is different than a TC part. Did you delete just the SE part from TC or the TC part (item) also? You may need to delete the TC item that describes the draft to remove the references so the SE model (and TC item) can be deleted also. But in all honesty, the draft and model should exist in the same TC item so removing references should be pretty clear cut.

--Scott

Thank you fun4sparkie and swertel,

This is occurring regularly when deleting a separate TcX Item with a draft and an Item with the associated part. GTAC admitted that once the draft Item/Item Rev/data sets were deleted out of TcX, the part Item/Item Rev/data sets should be able to be deleted as a unit. The part Item/Item Rev/data sets are still trying to point back to the non-existent draft structure. I can delete that reference in the Relation Browser Views panel. Then all works as expected. This is all non-statused data.

Hi Roger,
we are running the same set up of tcx and se where I work. I was wondering if I you could help me with some issues we've been having here?

Best regards,

Ane

Hey again,
I had some problems with my user as NorAne and found it easier to create a new one. Started a new thread (thread561-284354) in the UGS: Unigraphics (UG/NX) forum. Would appreciate any and all input :)

Best regards,

Ane
MSc Mechanical engineeering & ICT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back