Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deluge System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipFuller

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2003
US
We are in the design phase of modifying a deluge system at our plant. Our plant operations group would like the deluge system to be install on a grid. This grid will be very flexible. Operations will have work cells with hoses hooked to different drops on the grid. During a typical work day part of the deluge drops will have hoses and the unused parts will be plugged. My questions are as follows:

When does a fire protection system require a registered fire engineer to design the system?

Has anyone ever designed a flexible deluge system like described?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chip:

Why a deluge system? What is the uniqueness of the hazard that requires all of the sprinklers in the building to be open?

What your proposing is an interesting. If you have a work cell that is not in operation, and its decided to remove the sprinklers, you will probably be in violation of the local fire code, especially in the U.S.

As to when a licensed Fire Protection Engineer needs to seal the design depends on what state you are in. In your case, as described, I think it would be prudent for a FPE to become involved.

Thanks for the reply.

We are dealing with pryothecnics. Why would we be in violation of fire code? The plant fire and safety department would be the one's making sure of this being correct in conjuction with the insurance company. I take it you have never heard of this flexible system.

Where do I found which states require a licensed Fire Protection Engineer?

Chip,

Contact your local fire department and or state building department to find out what is required to have fire protection plans approved. If no review is required by an engineer fine, BUT make sure you get the answer in writing.

The insurance company is reviewing the plans to meet minimum underwriting requirements, NOT local or state code requirements.

If the area is heated and you need hose lines why not run a separate standpipe system? This way you do not have to worry about a valve being shut and no water when you need the hose station. For the deluge system to operate you will need a fire detector and or pull station to active. More things to maintain and greater chance for something not to work properly.

Chris:

I think what you are trying to do is use a flexhead sprinklers so that you can locate sprinklers into each work cell. The idea is that if one cell has an ignition event, you are attempting to limit the potential of fire spread because you are dealing with pyrotechnics. It is an interesting concept. I am assuming you are dealing with UN or DOT Division 1.3 or Division 1.4 explosives because of the term pyrotechnics. It will be helpful to me to confirm that you are dealing with the indicated hazard classes.

If your facility is handling these materials, you are an H1 occupancy under the International Building Code. Under the IBC such a building requires sprinklers. And LCREP is correct -- insurance companies are only underwriting the hazard. You as the engineer are responsible with compliance for all of the applicable codes.

To determine if a FPE license is required in your state check the following website:
From personal experience with two energetic materials production plants in my jurisdiction you have a significant and challenging fire protection problem. This problem is outside the scope of this forum. Seek professional design assistance for the classification of the stored materials and what active fire protection systems (if any) can limit the potential for fire control and extension in a facility such as yours. Your problem is most likely a function of separating the hazard in one production building from another building so you address the hazards of sympathetic detonations (or the hazard of deflagrations) depending on the classification of the production and finished materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back