Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demolishing large cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

draymorris

Industrial
Feb 10, 2003
US
We have an old vertical boring mill that we are scrapping. I need reccommendations on the best methods to ruduced its castings to managable sizes. It will not cut with a oxy acetylene torch. Much of the castings are 1.5 inches or thicker.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it cold enough to drill and tap holes, pour in water then thread in bolts and freeze the assembly? The expansion of the water should break the casting.

Torch: Try this. #2 tip,40# O2,7# acetlyene. You must have a high preheat from the torch tip. Then use a 180 degree semi circle pattern to cut. Like an upside down arc.

Or try the carbon steel method. One way is to lay a piece of 3/16" plate over the area and cut thru both. It only needs to lay fairly flat as you don"t care what the results are. The other way is to use the method first listed and feed some small diameter rod stock into your cut with your free hand. I have had good luck with this one.

The O2 lance,yes it will stay lit. Remember to heat a spot of your base metal and the end of the pipe white hot before you turn on the O2. It does consume the pipe. 1/4" would prob. be ok. BE CAREFUL this is dangerous.

draymorris:
Once you try the lances you'll wish you went that route to begin with.

The lances are "hot" as long as the tip is red hot. As noted previously it WILL make quick work of that chunk of iron. They are easy to use and it dosen't take much practice to effectively cut, pierce or gouge. I still caution you on the flying debris because the lance will really break down the cast iron quickly and all that molten material has to go somewhere.

You might be able to coax the local welding rep. to stop in and do a "demo" for you on your equipment with their LOC equipment.

Well I gave up!
I found a scrap hard close enough to haul the large peices to. They said if thier 800 ton shear won't shear it, they will find a way to demolish it and buy it anyway.

Sorry, I know everyone was wanting to hear of some crazy stories of fires and expolosions, but I think I will take the safe and easy way out. I may try the oxygen lance someday, just to play around.

Thanks for all your help.

Danny

You don't need a piece of iron or steel as you can go through concrete, cut brick, stainless steel also. Just start with thin stuff and a long lance with the proper safety gear. Watch the O2 hose, don't let it get hot or wrap it around anything that you don't want to burn.

Thanks for the update!

unclesyd

I really think that you should at least take pictures of the shear w/ this thing in it. (As they say on the Internet BBS': TTIWWOP (This Thread Is Worthless WithOut Pictures)

OR: Explosives!!!

nick

To bad you missed the sub 0 weather we had up here in Ne. then all you needed is a small crane and a heavy chunk of steel to drop on the casting, Iron is britle, and will break a whole lot easyer when it is cold

lol i was going to say just same thing, in ye olden days a common prank was on really cold winter days, was to go around hitting cast iron fences an gates with a hammer and run like hell as they shattered.

here is what i would have done

dug a big hole, put said machine in hole and covered machine.

try flash cooling it and hitting it with a sledgehammer or large chipping hammer. Better wear safety gear and stand above it , though. It will shatter like glass.

i could have cut it using a 5ft. torch and #7 or 8 tip.It may have taken a day. If it's still there or you have more let me know. I'll make a long weekend trip.

On similar machine we drilled holes close together in conjunction with the slitting action of an 8inch cutoff wheel , on an angle grinder, and broke it,with a sledge
Good Luck
Hey RD I had one too the 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back