Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demolition of building in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM89

Civil/Environmental
Jul 2, 2013
US
Hi,
I working on demolition of a school building in NYC area. We are structural consultants working along with architect. I am not sure on how the submission of drawing works for this kinda job. Btw we submit our drawings to NYC parks and recreation department. Our job scope is essentially to ripped/demolish a one story school building. Does this mean my drawings should comply with 'BEST squad' checklist of required criteria. Or am i just expected to show the to be demolished portion of the building without getting into the means and methods of demolition sequence. Can anyone who has worked/working in the city share some of your experience.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't give the means and methods. If there are structural reasons for doing the demo a certain way, give the contractor a suggested procedure, or there may be DEP noise requirements (Local Law 113)that necessitate a suggested procedure.

Ultimately, the contractor has to get the demo permits from the DOB and comply with the BEST Squad requirements -make sure it's clear in the specs - so he has top prepare the actual demo drawings. But it doesn't hurt to call out some of the main DOB requirements, like sidewalk shed with lighting, etc.

The submission of drawing works would mean a narrative of the procedures accompanying some drawn out details (sketches may suffice)of beam connections before dismantling, lead and asbestos abatement procedures if necessary, wall foundations sketches before removal, dust suppression equipment details, parking of equipment which would require drawn out street configurations and barricades, narrative of ultimate disposal sites of debris and reclaiming centers, etc. In my mind, a succinct narrative is the most important. document.

One additional aspect, is the position of heavy equipment on streets. If using a crane then a drawn out diagram of the crane set up with boom swings on street will probably be necessary. Pontoons for crane outriggers should be analyzed to determine suitability for any underground concerns. A NYC PE stamp may also be required.

Thanks chicopee and bridgebuster.
@chicopee: Can you elaborate on dust suppression equipment ? Do you mean more like showing water hose ?

So i have essentially created
1. preparatory phase showing the actual site condition with construction fence around and removing glasses, doors, windows, partition walls, combustible items etc, then positioning the crane in designated locations, creating debris storage area within the site premise, show egress, boundary of constrution fence & contract limit line and bracing of walls prior to removing the roof truss as the wall will be free standing temporarily.
2. Followed by demolition sequence of roof truss using crane, showing its operating max. boom radius and limitations of slew angle with a narrative of sequence.
3. Then demolition of ground level, walls and foundations with excavator along with narrative of demolition sequence.
4. Elevation of the building to be demolished and showing the distance to adjacent property (Nothing critical for this project.
5. Lastly, high level details on rigging, bracing details, crane mat, construction fence etc.

Point out any other information(s) that i might want to add on to my drawings.

Thanks
SM89

Well demolition normally creates dust and one mean is using water spray as abatement.
Another point, make sure that the workers are certified and trained when encountering asbestos and lead exposures. Silica dust is also a hazard which OSHA may question about the exposure levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back