Department change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riko_93

Chemical
Sep 19, 2017
AZ
Hi,
The Project Engineering Department want to involve to to its department. And, i want to know, if i change my job from process engineer to project engineer, is it will be better for me or not?
The thing is i want to work as an process engineer in future. But, think that may be it will be useful for me to change department for some time. What do you suggest me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to be a process engineer in the future, stick with being a process engineer. If you want to move in to project management, engineering management, or some other type of management, project engineering is a good starting point.

MFJewell
Thanks for your answer,
The problem is, there is not much work for process engineer (even doing nothing for a couple of weeks), but no enough workers in project engineering, you think that there isn't anything for me to learn/experience which i can use it in process engineering right? And, i'm planning to get master degree in process engineering. The situation is really important for me. I don't want to make a wrong decision. Your opinions are important for me

A lot of times, it's just a title change...and you're doing the same thing.

In my experience, the process engineer performs the maintenance or does small projects related to that field. The project engineer does the design of process for larger plants or processes, or larger capital budgets related to your field. As a project engineer, you will still be asked for your input from your process knowledge.

Again....just from my experience....

Riko_93 said:
you think that there isn't anything for me to learn/experience which i can use it in process engineering right? And, i'm planning to get master degree in process engineering. The situation is really important for me. I don't want to make a wrong decision. Your opinions are important for me

There is plenty to learn and some of it may make you a better process engineer down the road. But like I said, all the project engineering roles I have seen and been around are just project managers for engineering. This may vary some with different companies, but I haven't seen much difference. At my last employer we had several project engineers, they reported directly to the projects managers for a specific project. They had to manage all disciplines (elect, mech, civil, etc.) and didn't do much technical work, if any at all. They will manage contracts and work schedules, coordinate technical reviews, etc. as well for engineering related scope.

My current title is Senior Project Engineer. We have four other project engineers at my current employer. All of them fit the description above. I am the exception here. Thus far, I have done all of the engineering for my projects myself, managed contracts, oversee field work, etc. Really, I am more of a plant engineer that manages all my own projects, but also gets involved in operations and maintenance issues.

To me, if you plan to get a masters in the field, I would stick with the process engineer role. Project engineering may bore (you or maybe you will love it, skip the masters and go in to proper management).

In my experience, project engineers were basically project managers that just managed the technical engineering from the sub-disciplines. There were occasions where the project engineer had to take more hands-on role for design and drafting to get stuff done, but that was rare. The overall schedule and money was handled by the project manager.

Depending on the company, I think project engineering provides a good foundation as you are exposed to numerous sub-disciplines. I did it for about 4 years before deciding to branch out to a more specialized area. I wouldn't have been able to figure out where to take my career without doing project engineering.

Project engineer is a bit of a generic role name.
In my former company, project engineer meant systems engineer and required to do highly technical stuff.
Typically, if it is not a project manager in disguise, go for it and it should not be too difficult to get your return ticket to a more specialized role.

To be successful on EITHER you need to start proof-reading EVERYTHING you type, read, email, send, or sign.

Yes, this is an informal forum, and one that will not be selecting you for a future promotion, nor for future employment. But your project reports, daily status reports, reviews, recommendations, customer feedback reports, and everything else will be viewed very critically by those who will select you, or fire you, for future work.

Thanks for the replies. There is not much technical ( design) things in process department (no new project until summer). So, i think better to do some new things, change the work area.

I appreciate for your opinions. You showed me what to think about

I don't know much about your job or the opportunities, but in another post the poster used "English" about as poorly as you and it was pointed out by a commenter that failing is not at all helpful in advancing. Review your grammar and use of capitals, etc. Improving that form of communication can only help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back