Design code of coils in Fired Heaters 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DekDee

Petroleum
Mar 12, 2012
PH
thread292-489341

The response from Christine in the attached thread notes ASME B31.3 and API 530 for design code of coils.
I am battling with a Contractor now because of this clause in B31.3 - my opinion is it cannot be designed / fabricated in accordance with B31.3

B31.3
300.1.3 Exclusions. This Code excludes the following:
(c) tubes, tube headers, crossovers, and manifolds of
fired heaters that are internal to the heater enclosure

Is my interpretation correct ?
Cheers,
Shane

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience they have always been designed to B31.3 and API 530. If you follow API 560, it will refer you to B31.3 and API 530 as appropriate. I would consider the thickness design to API 530 suitable to cover the B31.3 exclusions.

BJI,
Thank you for the response but not sure I agree.
B31.3 clearly excludes internal tubing which if I am not mistaken are what the coils are made of.
I have been through API 530 & API 560 and I cannot see anything that definitively nominates B31.3 as the design or fabrication code.
API 560 lists B31.3 in 4 x locations - 3 of them relate to piping external to the Heater and the 4th relates to NDT - no mention of design or fabrication to B31.3.
API 530 has 2 x mentions of B31.3 but both of those are just formulas that the code states have been "taken" from B31.3 - again, no mention of design or fabrication to B31.3
Cheers,
Shane

Will be installed in Australia David but your attachment is interesting because the fabricator that maintains B31.3 is the design / fabrication code is Canadian.

The coil inside a pressure vessel is also a pressure vessel, not a piping.
Inspections and tests are different than a piping code (B31.3).

Regards

If there is a pressure vessel involved then that would change things. I was under the impression it was a piping system routing through a ventilated heater enclosure, like reformer piping systems. In my experience these have always been to B31.3 supplemented with API 530.

B31.3 said:
It is the owner’s responsibility to select the Code Section that most nearly applies to a proposed piping installation. Factors to be considered by the owner include limitations of the Code Section; jurisdictional requirements; and the applicability of other codes and standards. All applicable requirements of the selected Code Section shall be met. For some installations, more than one Code Section may apply to different parts of the installation. The owner is also responsible for imposing requirements supplementary to those of the Code if necessary to assure safe piping for the proposed installation.

One issue in Australia is that AS 1200 provides an example of a pressure vessel as a fired heater, yet often this is not the case. Also, if you refer to AS 1210 3.32 Fired Pressures Vessels, 3.32.2.4 Fired process heaters, states "Fired process heaters may alternatively comply with industry standards".

Unless it is a pressure vessel, I am not sure you will find clear demarcation on the overarching design and construction code. The state regulator will have an opinion on the matter as well, which can be a painful process. Please post back with the outcome.

Thanks BJI,
Sitting with the Canadian contractor now and it seems the Fired Heaters are definitely not pressure vessels.
Just interested to know the reasons for exclusion from B31.3 and legal ramifications of design / fabrication to B31.3 if an accident occurred.

API 560 appears to point you to ISO 13704 for the tube wall thickness and design?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Your Canadian Inspector is probably used to CSA-B51 the BPE Code for Canada. It states Fired Heater Pressure Coils unless designed to Sec. I or B31.1 shall meet the requirements of B31.3 or API 530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back