Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Feedback Requested - Moment Post Base 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR250

Structural
Jan 30, 2013
US
This is a design I want to try out with a contractor on a covered pavilion project and hope to use it going forward on similar projects that are flagpoled.
Please do not respond with "Simpson has a moment base" We don't want to use that and it has limited capacity and stiffness and it needs to be set prior to placing the concrete. We also have looked at Perma Column but it has too many issues to use.
Would possibly like to substitute the bolts for a bunch of 1/4x3" Simpson SDS screws as trying to find the other side of an 8" long drilled hole is hard and they will end up wallowing it out. I am hoping bearing on the walls of the tube will be doing most of the work anyway (as long as it don't shrink too much)

Have at it...

Shoe_t80epc.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hokie66 said:
Whatever you do, the wood will shrink perpendicular to grain, so if you want a moment connection, it will require retightening of the bolts. To my mind, that leaves out an RHS sleeve, screws, embedment in concrete...

I have to disagree. If a sleeve/SDS screws was used and there was some shrinkage, the lags would just be cantilevering slightly from the shell (maybe 1/8" max.) As long as it was not designed to the gnat's ass, it should be fine.
Also, I have designed dozens of these with poles sunk into concrete and have revisited many. The shrinkage was minimal and a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back