Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Floor Live Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedent

Structural
Aug 13, 2006
US
I am working on an elevated floor system for a new puplic high school. This area has the school's science labs, computer labs, math classrooms, and a broadcasting/video editing suite.

The math classrooms are standard classrooms, but the science and computer labs are roughly twice the size (53'X27').

In the past we have designed simlar floor systems for colleges with 100 psf and a tight deflection limit. This deflection limit was requested by the owner to minimize vibrations in the research labs.

The math classrooms will be designed with the standard classroom live load of 40 psf.

I vaguely recall an older code definition of a assembly area based on square footage. Do you remember any such definition?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think a science lab, etc. would require the 100 psf live load as if this was an assembly area. Conservatively, though, I typically design these for the corridor load - 80 psf live. Also for a partition load which can be a big number if your school has masonry partition walls.

And I am not confident that designing for a high LL or a tight deflection will necessarily control vibration. That should be checked separately.

DaveAtkins

DaveAtkins typed: "And I am not confident that designing for a high LL or a tight deflection will necessarily control vibration. That should be checked separately."

I do floor vibrations as part of my living and I can back that up 100%. It is VERY easy to design a floor for 100 psf that might still have vibe problems.

It's just so darn easy to check this nowadays with AISC DG11 out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back