Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of rectangular pressure vessel with orthogonal stiffeners 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pritam92

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2019
IN
hi!
i need some help on design of non circular pressure vessel, specifically rectangular vessels with orthogonal stiffeners under external pressure. i have got some design rules from ASME Sec VIII, Div-1 appendix 13 , but there is no formula given for orthogonal stiffeners. can you guys please help on design procedure and spacing between stiffeners etc??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a reference at home that I'm sure is entitled "Design of Rectangular Bins" or something very similar that I used when reviewing some buried rectangular oil tanks of substantial size. I won't be home for a few days, if you can hold on...

Tell us more details about you design ..

What is the MOC, size of the tank and range of positive an negative design pressures ?

How will you test and certify the tank ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

"Design of flat plate structures - API Bulletin 2V - 3rd edition, June 2004"
section 3 : plates
section 4 : stiffeners
section 5 : stiffened panels

We have a existing steel cabin(IS 2062) which is always kept at a 30 mbar gauge pressure. The size of tank is 3.5m*5m*5.5 m.
It is already designed and erected at site with 6 mm plate thickness along with orthogonal stiffeners(ISMC 150 BOX) .

During pressure test two bulged are observed on the edge. So recheck was carried out by me. I found that it can withstand around 80 mbar with existing design. So can you guys guess what may be the reason???

Dear Pritam92,

IS 2062 (like ASTM A 36) is not a very high quality plate (like ASTM A 516). Check for laminations at the bulged locations.

Regards.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back