Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of shaft/spindle using published codes/guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertCasey

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2002
NL
We are a Dutch company designing spindles and shafts for various purposes (wheel supports, rotating connections etc) and have for many years used an old German textbook called Hanchen to determine safety factors and allowable fatigue stress levels. This document gave methods of calculating safety factors at the various sections of the spindle based on the magnitude and direction of fatigue stresses in that area, shoulder radii or stress concentration, diameter of section, and surface finish. The problem is that this text is very out of date and no longer published, and we need to find new design guidance. I know of British Standard 2573-2 which gives the sort of information we are looking for, but this Standard is itself over 20 years old and whilst it is useful, I was wondering if there were more modern European Standards or literature. For the US based engineers reading this, can you tell me which codes or guidance they would typically use in the design of these types of components specifically for ascertaining fatigue life. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The old ANSI/ASME B106.1M-1985 "Design of Power Transmission Shafting" was great, but it's been withdrawn.

Try Peterson's "Stress Concentration Factors" book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back